Leith Hill 8 months on...

13»

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Mikey23 wrote:

err its not Leith hill or one of the associated surrey hills. isn't this what this thread is about?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sorry!
  • Grahamsjz
    Grahamsjz Posts: 50
    I am pleased I found this old thread, I too am now 8 months on and on those very hills

1) Staple Lane. Used to fail on that then got it - that feeling of finally making it will stay with me more that any other.

2) Crocknorth. A fantastic challenge, failed first time didn't go back for a while but go up often now. Even now that glance up the road through the railway bridge and you don't see sky just a continuation of the climb is a 'oh hell' moment. (The view to the right is no better as the fence pannels look like a steep staircase).

3) Coombe Lane from Shere, avoided this for a long time as it looked worse than Staple Lane, did it first time but only recently, went wide at hairpin and not because of speed.

4) Climb out of Shere heading south - it goes on and on and on.....

5) Leith Hill (had to stop on Tanhurst as a car was coming down, then again later for the same reason, a sod. b) Regularly do the Abinger Lane route

6) Whitedown. Easier down than up - done once not rushing back. Same goes for Barhatch (evil, nasty, not pretty, someone was doing repetitions of the steep ending when I did it, that forced me to complete it, he was good bloke encouraging...).

7) Box Hill, pretty and mandatory not difficult to get up but I do need to get up there faster.

I did Pebble Hill road last weekend short and steep, then down Box (first time that direction), Ranmore Common
    Rd and Lane routes up to Ranmore Common are fun.

I am enjoying seeing progress on the hills but average speed remains low. Regular route is 1, 2, 4, 5(b) then 7. Great place to learn to ride.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    For a really good hilly ride, join up on this Audax 15th August http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-356/
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • jazgill
    jazgill Posts: 98
    drlodge wrote:
    For a really good hilly ride, join up on this Audax 15th August http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-356/

We did this route last week, most enjoyable way to spend a few hours.