Cosmo Quiz

2»

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sketchley wrote:
    I think you're confusing what personality/psychological profiles actually are!

No i'm really not.

What I'm trying to say, admittedly badly, if that the things mentioned above will effect how you answer on a personality test as much as how you react when a car pulls out in front of you. Consquently external influence will effect the personality/psychological profile test result, while not changing the underlying indvidual's personality/psychological profile.

Only testing over time, which you cannot do in the interview process, will uncover true "personality/psychological profiles" for an indivual.

Conclusion being that as science done in controlled settings over time by people who really understand the subject (e.g. people with pyscology degrees who have study this in detail) could have benefit. This very real science has been packaged as snake oil by a number of firms worldwide and sold to companies who are now making very real decisions on who to hire (or fire) based on them. This I don't like.

OK I see what you're saying but I think that personality/psychological profiling firms seek to test something beyond these external factors... Just like IQ tests seek to test more than what you have learned. A personality test should in theory calculate the very basis of who you are no matter whether you're having a bad day. Just as IQ tests are supposed to test your intelligence, regardless of whether you went to Eton or the local comprehensive in Peckham.

Whether they do it completely successfully or not is another matter, as I said I'm not necessarily their number 1 fan, I just don't think they can be completely dismissed....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    It seems the DWP are using fake psychometric tests to 'help job seekers identify their strengths'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/30/jobseekers-bogus-psychometric-tests-unemployed
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bear in mind that it's the Nudge team doing the DWP thing so they will have an entirely different agenda for doing this. The people being asked to fill these in are unwitting guinea pigs.

@Headhunter - The MBTI has no grounding in science whatsoever, FWIW I work with a number of PHD Psychologists and one of our consultants is Professor of Psychology at UCL and an organisational and applied psychologist. He's extremely well respected, has over 800 peer reviewed publications etc etc and says that MBTI is a crock of sh1t. I'm inclined to take his word for it. I've worked in L&D for 10 years now and am sadly well versed in MBTI - I even had to sell it for a while, and IMHO it really is worthless, easily manipulated and a hall mark of lazy HR departments. As others have said, it was pretty much conjured out of thin air. It's no better than one of Derren Brown's cold reading tricks.
  • rjsterry
    Bear in mind that it's the Nudge team doing the DWP thing so they will have an entirely different agenda for doing this. The people being asked to fill these in are unwitting guinea pigs.

That fit with what else I have read. It/they were in the news again this morning as they are apparently being sold off/set up as a private business. A nice racket: get central government to fund your setup costs, then hire you as a contractor.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• il_principe
    rjsterry wrote:

That fit with what else I have read. It/they were in the news again this morning as they are apparently being sold off/set up as a private business. A nice racket: get central government to fund your setup costs, then hire you as a contractor.

My firm has done a little bit of work with them (experiments) - fascinating stuff.
  • rjsterry
    If somewhat ethically murky.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• il_principe
    TO be fair, it was the Behavioural Science Unit that pushed the OFT to investigate Supermarkets' pricing practices. Now those are ethically murky...
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5