London Bikeathon 100miler

charliew87
charliew87 Posts: 371
Hi,

http://www.londonbikeathon.org.uk/

Anyone signed up for this? £40 which includes a cycling shirt.

Looks like a nice route out through Surrey, anyone got a proper map/gpx of the course?

Cheers
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Comments

• mriley60
    mriley60 Posts: 19
    Hi there, I am also signed up for this............ should be good if the weather holds out!
  • francis666
    francis666 Posts: 99
    I'm another one!
    Cant find a detailed map either, but fortunately I live in Epsom and know most of the "Surrey Hiills" Dorking stuff.
    Be prepared for a real challenge when you get to this part. Boxhill isn't as bad as you think as the road is so smooth and you probably already know of it. Although it doesn't look like the organizers have put it down as an official water hole, It would be a good place to fuel up for the next really hard 20 miles or so. I wouldn't normally stop here but I reckon you'll be touching 40-50 miles or so at this point. Leith Hill in some ways is worse and White Down Lane is a killer after the other two. Not forgetting theres smaller stuff in between. Once down from Ranmore Comonn, the route should be a lot flatter and its just distance back.
    Plenty of fuel, plenty of Liquid.
    Shouldn't let this secret out, but have you looked at the "Dunwich Dynamo" ? more of a fun ride though and doing this one on the hybrid (fat saddle, no lean bars and soggy tyres 10 hrs on the bike) with a mixed ability group of friends. Enough said!
    Francis
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • I'm doing this one too, I did the London Surrey 100, this one is similar but not he same, when I get the map I will plot it on Garmin connect so will share that as a GPX if anyone wants it.
  • francis666
    francis666 Posts: 99
    edited August 2013
    Hi,

you can down load the route for the 100mile from the london Bikethon site with a hyper link supplied on this page: http://leukaemialymphomaresearch.org.uk/londonbikeathon > 100 Miles Epic > "Download the full route"= http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=cmbqcqrjjyzafrtj

used the TCX file supplied to to do the Boxhill to Whitedown (leatherhead>Boxhill>Newdigate>Coldharbour - Leef Hill>White down lane. Then fast back to Leatherhead via Bookham) part. Really nice ride (good bike cafe at Tan House Farm shop 1 mile on the Rusper road ) going via Newdigate.

Save your legs for the Dorking/Surrey hill stuff. If you haven't done this bit before, highly recommend you go try it. White down after Leaf hill is a struggle and 18% for about half a mile.

All the best
    F
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Looks a good route, may give the mid distance a go, would do the 100 but have the first rugby game of the season the day before.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • I am starting to get a little nervous about this one. Longest ride I have done is about 65 miles, but this one has some very steep bits in it. I am planning to go out tomorrow for a 91 miler including Box Hill, Leith Hill and Whitedown Lane to build up some confidence.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow, and everyone knows that if you cycle in the rain you get fitter than if it is a gorgeous sunny day. Or something.

Does anyone know how many people will be doing the 100 miler?
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Wanted to re kindle this as am just about to sign up for the 100, didn't end up doing the 50 so was hoping those that did it could give their tuppence?
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.