Disk brakes - do they aalways fade very fast?

bucklb
bucklb Posts: 296
edited May 2013 in The workshop
I'm on my first bike with (mechanical) disk brakes. Last week the rear brake went from being slightly weak to utterly useless in seemingly a matter of a couple of days. Is that normal?

The pad was worn down to the metal :? but I kind of assumed that there might be slightly more of a grace period between worn pads and totally knackered pads.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do you drag your brakes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bucklb
    No. I don't drag them (that I'm aware of anyway)
    No, if there is pad material there (in good condition) they will work just as good as new, the metal back plate, not at all....where did you expect a progressive change to come from?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bucklb
    I hadn't really put any thought into it to be honest. I was vaguely under the impression (from the bike shop) that I'd hear when the brakes were near(/past) their working life.

Now I know how quickly they can fade I'll be a lot more diligent in checking them in future. I really should be grateful it was the back ones that went first :wink:
    Just like rim brakes, don't wait until you've got metal touching metal as it will damage the discs.