Garmin 800 'junction view' help

Barrzy257
Barrzy257 Posts: 411
edited April 2013 in Road general
Just a quick one, when navigation on a course I used to get a 'junction view' and countdown of when I'll be arriving at the turning. Now some how over the winter this feature is not on, and for the life of me can not find the option to turn it back on? Any help appreciated as now I have to manually look at the map to see the route, then when I've turned the instruction comes up, causing me sometimes to be to late and missed the turn. I don't no if it matters, but I use ridewithgps and tcx files
Cheers

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Before you press "Go", after selecting the course, press the spanner icon and turn on "Turn by Turn Directions".

See http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-edge-8 ... -edge-800/
  • TheSmithers
    TheSmithers Posts: 291
    If it's anything like my 800, the turn by turn navigation will stop mid way through your ride for no apparent reason. I've bleated on about this numerous times on this forum, but no one seems to have had a similar experience, so it must just be my unit. Good luck with it!
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    Thanks for the replies!
  • If it's anything like my 800, the turn by turn navigation will stop mid way through your ride for no apparent reason.

I have the same problem. bit annoying, but not a biggie. I just follow the map if I need to.
    2011 Scott S30
    2004 Trek 4500
    2009 Trek 7.1
  • champson
    champson Posts: 57
    Mine does the same thing! I have turned the show directions option on in the course spanner menu, and it sometimes just stops showing the junction turns mid-ride. Also, even though I've selected a nice bright green colour for the course, it shows as a dull red colour. I am sure this was all working OK in an earlier software version so it looks like they broke it fairly recently.

Apart from the above, it's a great device!
  • TheSmithers
    TheSmithers Posts: 291
    champson wrote:
    Mine does the same thing! I have turned the show directions option on in the course spanner menu, and it sometimes just stops showing the junction turns mid-ride. Also, even though I've selected a nice bright green colour for the course, it shows as a dull red colour. I am sure this was all working OK in an earlier software version so it looks like they broke it fairly recently.

Apart from the above, it's a great device!

I wrote a snotty email to Garmin, and they suggested a complete reset of the unit to the factory settings and a software update. Haven't got round to doing that yet. Funnily enough, I navigated a course over the weekend, albeit a short 30 mile course, and it was as good as gold throughout. It's an intermittent problem.

Other than that, I've been thoroughly impressed with the 800.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If you're having problems with a tcx file, have you tried using a gpx file to see if it makes a difference? I used a tcx file just once, but now use gpx only and it gives the directions consistently.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava