Bonked

Mad_Malx
Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
edited April 2013 in Road general
Just going out for a couple of hours I tell Mrs MM yesterday. Couple of muesli bars will be plenty.
5 hours and 80 miles later (and first ride over 25 miles all year) knees sore and feeling a bit hungry. Only another 6 miles home though. Struggle up last hill, start feeling dizzy. I'll take it easy. Across the flat, I can barely turn the pedals. Stop at cafe, dismount but can barely stand. 30 min later , coffee and cake provide enough energy to get me home.
Note to self - must refuel before running on empty. I really had no idea what was going on before the cafe, lucky to make it down the hill in one piece

Comments

• farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    An average speed of 16 mph is very respectable for 80 miles especially given it was your longest ride by quite a margin so far for the year ...

Not a good situation to"bonk" to that degree - easy to miscalculate and crash when in that state.

Living up to your name me thinks ....

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I bonked today too mate,(see `73 miles` thread),horrible feeling isnt it.

Like you,i could hardly turn the wheels and was weaving across the road at some point but managed to get home.Glad you made it back safely.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have not really bonked (no sniggering at the back) for over 10 years but still remember how bad it can be and every mile is an eternity.

I do a lot of big mile runs over the 150mile mark but several weeks ago with 120miles in the legs I sort of duelled another rider up a long but shallow climb in the Borders and after catching and passing him I spectacularly blew up on the next climb and he sailed away on up the road. This was the closest I have recently to bonking but managed to recover quite easily but I think more big miles you do you do not really bonk but gradually just run out of steam but still keep enough to limp home.
    Brian B.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Yes, it was the speed I went from feeling pretty pleased with myself to almost unconcious that was scary. I'm reasonably fit, but clearly what I dismissed as a bit hungry is quite significant after 5 hours in the saddle. Will try to get a few more 50 milers in too, just not fancied it much in the cold & wind.

Best night's sleep in a long while last night, and legs not too bad for this morning's commute.

Davdandy - just seen your thread - looks like we had a very similar day!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Competitive bonking...

I've bonked within 7k of starting a ride!
    I've bonked within 30 minutes...on a turbo!
    I've bonked in my sleep whilst dreaming of riding my bike!

(I do inject insulin so I guess that's cheating in a TDF kinda way :D )
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    First bonk is always the best!
    That feeling of 'what's going on' along with I don't really care if I crash into that hedge.

Think I've been tempting fate recently as my on ride nutrition is usually derived from what I can nick from the kids packed lunch shelf!