New bike - accept free tighten up service?

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited April 2013 in Road general
Was offered a free tightening up service when I bought my bike 2 months ago.
But having read some horror stories of bikes being returned in a worse state than when they were dropped off, I'm wondering if there's a comprehensive list somewhere detailing what needs checking if I were to do this myself.

Comments

• lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I think that rather depends who you bought it from.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Had free services on both my bikes from their respective LBS and had no probs. both were needed and both came back in mint condition
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    So you're happy for them to sell you a bike and assemble or check it over - but you don't want to let them tighten anything ?

I'd ignore the horror stories. People don't bothe posting when things go right - as they normally do.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    if you know how to index gears, tighten up brake cables and apply some lube that's about all they'll do!

if you don't know how to do those things, now seems like a good time to learn :)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Mine was with Evans last year, gears and brakes came back ok which is all they really do but it was discovered on Saturday my bottom bracket was very loose and so was my rear cassette so not sure where the fault lies with that. Evans or the manufacturer.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875