Bike storage, where do you keep yours?

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
edited May 2013 in MTB general
No I am not asking so I can go on the rob,

I store mine in a neighbours garage at the moment, 3 bikes and 2 motorbikes in a myriad of chains and anchors, but I am getting slung out as her son in law needs the garage for storage,
So I am after good idea's for secure storage of 2 MTB's and 1 roadbike,

Not enough room in the house for 3 bikes worth of wall hooks, and will be a major major job to get room in my garage at the moment.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In the house, make space. I have four or five in my son's bedroom. If he doesn't like it he can move.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    In the house. It means you have to clean it before you bring it in (or risk an argument) but it is the only sensible place.
  • Grovsie29
    Grovsie29 Posts: 116
    In the garage locked to the wall, along with my hybrid for work, my dads bike and my dads car lol.
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    At work. Although that's more to do with the wife not knowing I brought another bike than not having anywhere to store it. Although....I dont have anywhere to store it other than a crappy wooden shed.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    In the bedroom.

Yes, I am single...
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    The GT goes in the shed along with my dads Marin...the rest can gtfo! :lol:

Well, they are all locked together but outside...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    One in the bedroom, one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, one in the living room, one in the utility room.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    I have a shed! :D Honestly it was the main attraction to the house I've just moved into. It's only a little wooden thing, but I have the bikes locked inside it.

I sometimes leave a bike at my Uncles shed (he lives next door to my parents). Neither places are the most secure, but I'm hoping that with the rubbish look to them, would-be-thieves won't be interested in entering them...
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • MrNods
    MrNods Posts: 6
    I've had the same dilemma. Flat too small for the bikes so I'm looking at outdoor storage and cover options, Not ideal. Trying out a 'Bike Parka' on my mtb locked in the communal back yard at the mo.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    In a metal security shed in the garden, not cheap but a lot less than a divorce.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    2 in the shed locked up with 3 chains and 2 alarms and 1 in the downstairs toilet.

the theory is that if they get the one's in the shed i'll still have a bike to ride as the 1 in the toilet will be ok.
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    welshkev wrote:
    2 in the shed locked up with 3 chains and 2 alarms and 1 in the downstairs toilet.

the theory is that if they get the one's in the shed i'll still have a bike to ride as the 1 in the toilet will be ok.

It's one way to clean the bike i suppose if you don't mind it smelling of wee.

Mine is in my parents dining room but will be in the lounge of my new flat when i move in (if it fits)
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    I hang mine from the saddle from a rafter in the garage.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    In the cupboard under the stairs (which has a full size door access into it - its quite big, does have to share it with the hoover though...)

Cos i got a bargain insuring my bike with my house insurer - the snag was it was only covered so long as its in the house rather than in a shed.
  • RobK
    RobK Posts: 19
    In the back of my van ready to play.
  • colin.1976
    colin.1976 Posts: 9
    in the house,have a big cupboard under the stairs.both bikes then padlocked together.hopefully very safe after my old ellsworth joker got stolen out of my shed,but that is another story. :roll:
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    In the downstairs toilet (not literally), even though I have a proper garage it could be stored in. Safer in the house as far as I am concerned.
  • One in the kitchen and one in a bedroom during the night.During the day when Im in the house, I will keep that days bike in the garage,with the door locked.
    I wouldn't dream of leaving one of my bikes in the garage overnight as I know it would be stolen.
  • Adam k
    Adam k Posts: 37
    One in my bedroom and the other in hall way

a2d6a4c78da31cd7d8980fd3b8a04df7.jpg

20120306_070900.jpg
  • Jolly Swagman
    Jolly Swagman Posts: 100
    In the garage/workshop behind a rather expensive door that can apparently withstand a Range Rover hitting it at 20mph. Dunno what happens if someone drives another make at it. I hate having bikes in the house.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Adam k wrote:
    One in my bedroom and the other in hall way

a2d6a4c78da31cd7d8980fd3b8a04df7.jpg

20120306_070900.jpg

Along with the Green Eyed Wolf in the Hallway!
  • mine hung up via a bike hoist in the utility room, 7 others in shed but they belong to kids and neighbours kids. lol :D
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Either in my shed, or my bedroom (3 floors up, but safe) or at work downstairs. Work is likely the safest, insured if anything goes wrong and downstairs amongst many others
  • CUBEical
    CUBEical Posts: 211
    I sometimes leave a bike at my Uncles shed (he lives next door to my parents). Neither places are the most secure, but I'm hoping that with the rubbish look to them, would-be-thieves won't be interested in entering them...
    Make sure you have a ground fixture with a decent lock i read the other day some ones crappy old looking shed got broken into and the bikes lifted out , i always lock to an anchor that no one can get , like i lok my bike in the garage and i have a lock threw the fork so they cant get the whole bike out then i lock the front wheel(s) and back wheel(s) together threw the frame and then if i got 2 in there i d lock the frames together,its always good to anchor them down and make sure every thing you fix can not get left behind if you get what im saying always have atleast 2 locks a d lock a cable lock and an extra one to keep at home for an anchor lock
    I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............
  • Jolly Swagman
    Jolly Swagman Posts: 100
    And the good thing about an anchor is you can use it at sea too.
  • m1tch666
    m1tch666 Posts: 148
    Shed with every screw on door, hinges etc replaced with coach bolts and shear nuts, 3 major hasps and locks again with coach bolts and shear nuts. Shed shackle inside, 11mm chain through frames and wheels. Remote alarm with movement detector in shed. Overkill but having had two cars stolen over the years I'm not taking the risks, even then they are insured, and hopefully I'd hear the machine tools they were having to use.
    Dartmoor Primal 26" 1 x 10, 40 expander
    Banshee Spitfire 650b 1 x 10, 42 expander
  • PIKEO
    PIKEO Posts: 82
    mines in the crappy little shed in the garden and it has been an art to master getting it in and out (on the back wheel jobby its that small). but its better than keeping it in the house. Insurance said it only needed a 5 lever padlock on the door and what a chew on it was to buy a 5 lever padlock.