coast and castles - first tour

hjghg5
hjghg5 Posts: 97
edited May 2013 in Tour & expedition
I'm tackling this over 4 days next weekend. I've never toured before so am going for the soft option and have B&Bs booked, and I'll be using the bike I commute on with my normal panniers so am comfortable with the setup. Trains are also booked, and I have a map.

The distance of each day should be doable although I've never done 4 decent days back to back. Too late to do anything about that now though so I think I will relax and work on trying to cut down my packing list during the week...

Any last minute tips?

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Try to arrive at B&Bs by 4pm so you have time to wash and dry your shorts and baselayer each night. Make sure you eat regularly throughout the day - such as having a banana, dried fruit, nuts etc mid-morning and mid-afternoon as well as your breakfast, lunch and dinner.This will keep your energy levels up. Keep hydrated.
  • Make sure you know the addresses of the B & Bs and exactly where they are in the towns! I did this a couple of years organised by my friend. I was a bit slower than them and arrived into Berwick having no clue where to go. I had been running map my ride on phone which had died and ended up at the local police station to ask for help! It's a good trip, you will enjoy it.

If you enjoy it, you should do the Glasgow to Inverness, it's another good one.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Yeah, I would say to make sure u know the B&B locations - have a tour outside of them on google streetview, and do the same for the pubs nearby!

its a brilliant route and extremely well sign posted. 4 days will be perfect for leisurely cycling it, while having time to enjoy the evenings. You shouldn't be under any time pressure.

Hope the weather is good for u.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Make sure you take time to enjoy the places along the way. It is easy to get wrapped up in the "must keep pushing on" mode and before you know it you have missed lots of interesting spots, remember it's a holiday not just a long cycle ride!
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 97
    I intend to take my time about it!

Good call on the B&B maps - I'd dug out all the addresses but hadn't gone that extra step of actually finding them all on a map. I should be OK with my Garmin and my phone but I'll probably feel happier with a bit of paper tucked away in the pannier for backup.

The good thing about checking online maps is that I can see that there are pubs fairly close to each B&B for refuelling :D
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    its a nice ride with some great views, just south of Berwick gets a bid muddy mind and would be rough on skinny tyres.
    it looks a bit steep to me.....