Going from a Road Bike to a Hybrid

Ringo 68
Ringo 68 Posts: 441
edited April 2013 in Road general
Today I went out on my Hybrid for the first time in over a year. I did 15 miles at a pretty fast pace (for me) and ten miles with my wife at a much gentler one along the Wirral Way.

On our way home I started getting pins and needles in my left hand and when I took my hand off the bars and straightened my wrist I got what I can only describe as an electric shock up my arm. This happened several times and it was pretty painful, making me actually shout out in pain.

This has never happened to me when riding my road bike and it was quite unnerving. My wife is wanting to ride a lot more, and longer distances so I don't really want to have to put up with this.

Any ideas what I can do to help?
Cube Agree GTC Pro
Boardman Comp
Carrera Subway Hybrid

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    change hand position more often.

and get some Specialized BG gloves/mitts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    If it hasn't got comfort grips on then i suggest you get some. If it has, try altering the position or try a different brand (i find the Ergon and Vavert ones work best for me but the specialized ones don't). Also consider getting some bar end grips to give you an alternate hand position every now and then.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    check the brakes, gears etc are properly adjusted, consider rolling the bars back a bit or moving the seat forward. lots of option to reduce the load on your wrists. also relax your grip when riding so that your arms take some of the impact.
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    Get the wife a road bike instead, or failing that put some bar ends on
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    My brother and work mate have had exactly the same problem, bar ends solved it
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Thanks for the replies.

I will review my set up and look at tweaking things to get some weight off my hands and look at getting some bar ends.

As regards to getting my wife a road bike. Nah. My road bike is where I go when I want to get away from her for an hour or two :twisted:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid