Charity Event John O'Groat's to Land's End (Solo and Unsuppo

adamreed
adamreed Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in Road general
Hello fellow cyclists,

Hope you are all well. I am writing to you as I will be cycling from John O'Groats to Land's End unsupported. The idea is to complete the 1000 mile journey within 10 days. This cycle challenge will differ from most, as I will complete the full route with no money for food or accommodation. I will be relying solely on food donations and those willing to provide me with free accommodation. Any mechanical failures to my bike, I will rely on charitable bike shops and mechanics. I will be documenting my journey using a Go Pro Camera, and will post daily video updates throughout my journey. I chose cancer research UK as my girlfriend (Sandra) lost her mum to cancer.

Any support or ideas you may have would be gratefully received.

This is a link to my fundraising page http://www.justgiving.com/AdamReed2402 If you could forward it to anyone you think may be interested in my journey, I would really appreciate it

Many thanks for your support.

Adam

A Message from Sandra

Hi Folks,

This July marks the 20th Anniversary for my dear Mom (Viv/Vivienne) who passed away very suddenly. 20 years ago treatment, diagnosis and support for cancer patients and their families was a world away from where we are today. That said, I think most would agree too many loved ones, continue to be lost throughout our world to this devastating and heart breaking disease.

Adam and I are dedicated to assist Cancer Research in its search for a cure. As part of this plan, we are going to run several fundraising events from now until September. Adam, slightly more athletic driven than myself to say the least, has decided to start with an epic bicycle trek from John O’Groats in Scotland (most northerly point of the UK) to Land’s End in England (most southerly point). This Journey will be 1000 miles in length and Adam will average around 100 miles each day. This is the equivalent of over 3 times the length of Ireland! (I’m feeling faint just thinking about it!)

The plan is to travel by train to John O’Groats which will be his starting point. From there he will travel south, covering 9 stages in 10 days, through the Highlands, Central Scotland, Scottish Borders, Cumbria, Midlands and the south west of England, completing his journey in Land’s End. However, unlike most cyclists who have attempted this challenge, Adam will be doing the whole journey without any additional kit or support vehicle. I offered to provide back up, but apparently the Peugeot isn’t quite what you see on the Tour de France! However, I will be travelling north to see him off and will brave the wilds of England to see him arrive. All he will have is his legs and his bike! This makes the challenge that bit harder.

To further support fundraising, we will be organising several mini events such as, a Tennis Tournament, cake sale, sponsored silence (guess who’s doing that!), 24 hour ‘stay awake’, 24 hour fast, not on the same day I may add! I would rather do the 1000 mile cycle!
We would greatly appreciate any support, and have posted the sponsorship page which provides more info on the event and Cancer Research.

Thanks everyone x

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good luck with that ;-)
    Looking forward to hearing how you get on. The concept of doing that ride without any firm plans for fuelling or maintenance of bike certainly seems a challenge!
    Are you taking anything? Spare tube? Energy bar? Debit Card?
    What cycling have you done to date?

Have you done any training for this? 1000 miles in 10 days is 100 miles a day.
    How about you get a mate to drop you somewhere 100 miles from home early one morning and without having eaten.
    If you make it home ok you will have a better idea if doing this 10 days in a row is feasible.
  • wac100
    wac100 Posts: 20
    Hi mate good luck with your challenge, which seems a pretty mighty one, and all for a very worthwhile cause.
    Having lost family and friends to the big C myself, I donate every month to the Cancer Research Fund, so my donation is already there. What I would like to offer is that if you happen to find yourself in the Doncaster area during your ride, I would be more than happy to assist you in any way possible, whether it be food, mechanicals or even a bed for the night, I will try to help as much as possible.

Good luck :D
  • adamreed
    Thanks to you both for the reply and words of support and encouragement. The idea is to make this as challenging as possible. The pain and suffering cancer brings with it, for both family and the individual concerned, makes this challenge look an easy one in comparison. I am currently averaging 60-70 miles per day, 6 days a week. I have been increasing the mileage gradually and feel I'm not far away from doing 100 miles per ride. However, I'm more concerned about training my body to cope limited energy reserves. I hope the people I meet on my travels will be kind enough to donate some food, otherwise I may have trouble to say the least! I will be only taking a spare tube and 1 CO2 canister, just for the sections of the trip where there is really nothing there, especially a bike shop! The start of the trip is very remote, so I think this is unavoidable. However, I will carry no spare clothes, energy bars or anything else. I might carry an emergency foil blanket though just in case there is no room at the Inn! ha ha. I will also have two water bottles but will rely on refills coming from good Samaritans. I won't carry a debit card or money, which I know some people will think is mad, but I feel it would defeat the purpose of the challenge.

Thank you wac100 for your offer of help, I might have to ride through your neck of the woods now! It is really nice to hear that there are people who are willing to help out. Thank you for that.
  • Anonymous
    Am thinking a lot of cyclists would be happy to help and support you on the ride itself but how would they know where you were?
    If you could be tracked on your ride I think you would get a lot of assistance, but if you just head out you will have to ask for it all, explaining what you are doing every time and I think people might be wary.

If I knew where you were cycling nearby to me (and I was around) I would be interested in cycling out to join you for a section of the ride, take you for a fry up and generally help out with the ride however I could ;-)
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Sounds a worthy cause and a great effort, hope it all goes well. Again if you end up anywhere near Market Harborough will be an offer of food, drink etc to help you along the way.
    Have done a few sportives for Cancer Research UK but nothing on the scale of your ride, very best of luck :)
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • Hi M8, did the lejog for cancer research in 2006, can't imagine doing it without cash etc, I'm away for 2 weeks in late Sept but, let me know when you get your route and dates sorted out and I'll see if I can be any help. Lancashire..
  • Anonymous
    Just realised you are coming down from Scotland so will be going through Midlands heading south.
    Let me know dates and planned route through Gloucestershire ;-)
  • I live in Newton Abbot, Devon. Perhaps the wrong side of Dartmoor for most JOGLErs and LEJOGers but by the time you get down to this part of the world you'll be as fit as a flea and you won't be daunted by a trek across Dartmoor. Okehampton would be the traditional stop in Devon on the NW side of the moor. Newton Abbot is on the East of the moor.

As long as we're at home I'd be happy to give you a bed for the night and feed you. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you my details. I'd be happy to ride with you for a leg over the moor if work etc. permits.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Hi Adam

Sounds like an epic trip and I wish you the best of luck with it. My Dad is dealing with prostate cancer, so I know it is a very worth cause you are supporting. I can't help with accommodation, but if dates work out, I can give you coffee and lunch and some flapjack to keep you going :) I'll ride along with you for some of the Cumbrian leg too if you want.

Only one suggestion though, consider taking at least a tube, a puncture kit and a pump. In some parts of the route you could have a very, very long walk after a 2nd puncture :(
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    fludey wrote:
    Sounds a worthy cause and a great effort, hope it all goes well. Again if you end up anywhere near Market Harborough will be an offer of food, drink etc to help you along the way.
    Have done a few sportives for Cancer Research UK but nothing on the scale of your ride, very best of luck :)

I'm not too far from Market Harborough either so can lend a hand in this area if needed
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Didn't 2 guys do a LEGOJ starting with nothing but a pair of shorts and collecting stuff like shoes and bikes along the way?
    I agree that pump+patch kit+spare inner (+ wrench and tyre levers if needed) is a bare minimum kit.
    You could also borrow a waterproof jacket from your local cancer research charity shop, plenty of opportunity for crossover marketing.
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    I live half way between Preston and Wigan on the A49, You have a bed,meal and my bike workshop at your disposal.

Keep me posted

Barrie
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Have you decided on a draft route? I live between Land's End and John O'Groats ( :wink: ) but it will make it a lot easier for people to volunteer help if we knew roughly which way you were going.

I wish you well on your brave endeavour.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I shall be cycling solo, unsupported from JOG to LE over 8 days in 3 weeks time for Prostate Cancer Uk and Macmillan's. I will be taking cash, credit/debit cards and spare clothing though :shock:
  • adamreed
    Hi all,

I have been blown away by the support, encouragement and valuable advice you have provided. I am very grateful to be part of a sport that has such a friendly and supportive community. That's what I love about cycling. Other cyclists you don't know will give you an acknowledging nod when you pass them, or even provide you with food and a bed if you decide to do a crazy challenge! I will be posting a confirmed route very soon and really appreciate all the offers. I am also currently looking into how I can use GPS so people can monitor my progress along the way, and come and rescue me if needed! ha ha. I am doing Edinburgh to Coldstream (Scottish and English border) and back (100 miles) first thing tomorrow, will have no food on the bike but will have a little breakfast. This should give me a little taste of what it might be like. However, nothing will compare to doing it 10 straight days in a row!

Thanks again everyone, you are all very good!