Road tax!

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
I am quite shocked to learn that you lot don't pay road tax for your bikes!

Here is a photo of my Portuguese bicycle tax disc (Silves is the county town) it is made of steel (36 grams) and is enameled and is attached on the left front axle by a steel nut and in no way hampers the use of my rod brakes.

The beer bottle cap is for scale only and does not represent a serving suggestion.

taxdisc.jpg

Do you think this photo would be better appreciated in the commuter section? :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Mods please remove this before the government sees this and gets any wise ideas!

:)
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    because in this country there is NO SURE THING AS ROAD TAX :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Vehicle Excise Duty is based on emissions. Some of us cyclists produce more emissions than others though. :oops:
  • team47b
    turnerjohn wrote:
    because in this country there is NO SURE THING AS ROAD TAX :evil: :evil: :evil:

I know, I know, I was just trolling :D
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    Some form of tax for sozzled wobbly expats is probably reasonable :wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I've been to Silves. I stole a bike there. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    I wouldn't mind paying road tax for cycles, it's unlikely to cost a lot.

But the main reason is that I would like horses to be included too. The badge for them would be about 10cm across and fixed with a very large spike between the eyes.

The older I get, the better I was.

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I wouldn't mind paying road tax for cycles, it's unlikely to cost a lot.

But the main reason is that I would like horses to be included too. The badge for them would be about 10cm across and fixed with a very large spike between the eyes.
    A unicorn? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    I should just add that they did away with the road tax for bicycles and motorbikes and quadricycles here and none of these require an MOT either :shock:

It's just for cars, as it should be :D

seanoconn wrote:

I used to resemble that remark!!
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I pay more than my share of road tax having both a car and a van and paid into the system for over 34 years.I think i am more than entitled to cycle for free,i have paid enough in. :evil:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • seanoconn
    team47b wrote:
    I should just add that they did away with the road tax for bicycles and motorbikes and quadricycles here and none of these require an MOT either :shock:

seanoconn wrote:

Damn diabetes!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Will the weight weenies start complaining that they cant be made from carbon?
  • team47b
    seanoconn wrote:
    team47b wrote:

seanoconn wrote:

Damn diabetes!

It's a diabetical liberty :evil:
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    If I ever want to know something about Portugal, I come onto Bikeradar. I feel like I know the place inside out now :D
    Bikeradar should have a separate chatroom just for all things Portugese.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Capt Slog wrote:

I think the riders should also be made to leave warning signs along the roads and trails advicing of their dumps. Unless of course they clear it up. :D
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I'd happily display a badge on my bike similar to the one posted above ... hell I'd even pay a nominal sum every year (e.g. £10-£20) ... IF it would shut car drivers up with the whole tax/insurance carry on. Could even end up with us getting a bit more respect on the roads - though I doubt it somehow.

Could be something you get as part of your cycling membership - a badge with the scheme name, membership number and telephone number.
  • seanoconn
    And maybe a little cycling proficiency test before you receive your tax disk. Specially for people suffering from target fixation, I'm looking at you deckan1, stay out of those ditches.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    A serious contribution to the debate from the Ullapool News (see Facebook)

The Ullapool News
    Calls For A9 Lane Expansion

The Department of Transport is in consultation with planners investigating the feasibility of adding an extra lane to the A9 between Inverness and John O'Groats.

Much of the road was originally designed by Thomas Telford in the 17th century to facilitate charity cyclist raising hackles for good causes whilst they travel between Lands End and John O'Groats. In recent years there have been calls for the road to be widened and integrate a traffic lane for alternative means of transport such as cars and lorries.
    The news has already raised concerns with members of the cycling fraternity.

"It's all very cars and lorries wanting to go about their day to day life on our A9 but how the hell are we meant to cycle 2 or 3 deep across the road and on blind corners with these engine powered fools all over the place?" asked one indignant cyclist. "The occasional car is tolerable and can even alleviate the boredom of cycling by having someone to angrily shake your fist at and abuse when they dare pass within 20 metres of a bike, but they can't expect to just use our road like they own it or something. That's not what we expect when we don't pay any road tax!"

-Spider-
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    I'd happily display a badge on my bike similar to the one posted above ... hell I'd even pay a nominal sum every year (e.g. £10-£20) ... IF it would shut car drivers up with the whole tax/insurance carry on. Could even end up with us getting a bit more respect on the roads - though I doubt it somehow.

Could be something you get as part of your cycling membership - a badge with the scheme name, membership number and telephone number.

Here is a proposition:

Lets all pay a nominal fee for a road tax disc for cyclists. Say £10 per annum, (£25 for a carbon fibre one, lol).

This all goes into a national pool to cover cyclists in the event of injury or death; an insurance policy. It pays for the a change in the judicial process in the event of death or serious injury. Not a change in the law but a change in the process whereby in serious cases, a preliminary hearing takes place so that both sides can present their views and a small panel of judges decide:
    a) if there is a case at all or
    b) it is a civil case or
    c) it is a crminal case

If the police and the judicial system were obligated to respond to serious accidents, then it would be a deterrant and a fair system of representation.
    In the event cyclists contravene rules and do silly things on the road, they can get their licenses revoked and they are in the lap of the gods not covered by a national insurance scheme and not covered by any judicial process, just like we are now.

Ideas ?...
    A real poll coming up!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

Here is a proposition:

Lets all pay a nominal fee for a road tax disc for cyclists. Say £10 per annum, (£25 for a carbon fibre one, lol).

This all goes into a national pool to cover cyclists in the event of injury or death; an insurance policy. It pays for the a change in the judicial process in the event of death or serious injury. Not a change in the law but a change in the process whereby in serious cases, a preliminary hearing takes place so that both sides can present their views and a small panel of judges decide:
    a) if there is a case at all or
    b) it is a civil case or
    c) it is a crminal case

If the police and the judicial system were obligated to respond to serious accidents, then it would be a deterrant and a fair system of representation.
    In the event cyclists contravene rules and do silly things on the road, they can get their licenses revoked and they are in the lap of the gods not covered by a national insurance scheme and not covered by any judicial process, just like we are now.

Ideas ?...
    A real poll coming up!
    But we shouldn't need to pay specifically for legal protection and insurance! Protection in law is the right of everyone and is funded by us all through general taxation (as are the highways and byways). Cyclists (nor for that matter anyone else) should not have some kind of separately funded, parallel legal system. As for insurance, why not leave it to private firms? Motorists pay insurance and it's not managed and run by the public sector, funded by taxation...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • pinno
    I'd happily display...coming up!

But we shouldn't need to pay specifically for legal protection and insurance! Protection in law is the right of everyone and is funded by us all through general taxation (as are the highways and byways). Cyclists (nor for that matter anyone else) should not have some kind of separately funded, parallel legal system. As for insurance, why not leave it to private firms? Motorists pay insurance and it's not managed and run by the public sector, funded by taxation...

I agree. There is one big flaw. The current legal process/culture does not protect cyclists/other road users. In campaign, I argued for a change in the law. This was met with a distinctly mixed and ambiguos response. People did not like the idea of say 'guilty' until proven innocent'.
    So what do we do ? I argued for a change in the judicial process, not a change in law. Then this was met with 'Who's going to pay for it all?'. So this 'taxation' would a) pay for it and b) bligate the police who often treat serious road injuries to cyclists with complacency for want of a better expression.
    Given a preliminary hearing, the police would be obligated to persue the matter with a bit more seriousness and the finances would be there to pay for it.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

I agree. There is one big flaw. The current legal process/culture does not protect cyclists/other road users. In campaign, I argued for a change in the law. This was met with a distinctly mixed and ambiguos response. People did not like the idea of say 'guilty' until proven innocent'.
    So what do we do ? I argued for a change in the judicial process, not a change in law. Then this was met with 'Who's going to pay for it all?'. So this 'taxation' would a) pay for it and b) bligate the police who often treat serious road injuries to cyclists with complacency for want of a better expression.
    Given a preliminary hearing, the police would be obligated to persue the matter with a bit more seriousness and the finances would be there to pay for it.
    I don't think the police should take things more serious just because cyclists have paid some kind of specific, ring fenced taxation that's a dangerous road to head down, just as bad as motorists claiming greater right to the road because they have paid road tax our cigarette smokers claiming rights too cancer treatment because they have paid tobacco tax.... No tax is paid into a specific bucket for a specific purpose
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • pinno

But...

I agree..

I don't think the police should take things more serious just because cyclists have paid some kind of specific, ring fenced taxation that's a dangerous road to head down, just as bad as motorists claiming greater right to the road because they have paid road tax our cigarette smokers claiming rights too cancer treatment because they have paid tobacco tax.... No tax is paid into a specific bucket for a specific purpose

You cannot say that if money was there for the purposes of a specific expenditure that money is ringfenced. The complaint was "Who's going to pay for it all?". If we cannot fund it because that money is 'ring-fenced', then we cannot pay for anything. Yes is goes into a national pot like all other taxes/duties etc and it funds what i have proposed.