road routes near Bangor,wales

allen
allen Posts: 214
edited April 2013 in Road general
Hi All. My daughter is at Bangor uni and i am planning a couple of days over there next weekend. Anyone got any suggestions for good rides starting from Bangor ? Had thought about doing Ogwen/Llanberis pass...any thoughts on that or is it likely to be too busy ?

Comments

• ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    loads of crackers from bangor, depending how far you wanna go - ogwen llanberis is a fine route but the drag from capel curig to llanberis pass can be killer with a headwind, so do it the other way if thats the case.
    plenty of big climbs to play on... nant gwynant from beddgelert is great and you can turn to go over llanberis pass to finish.
    others to google are drws y coed, the mignant, cwm penmachno, marchllyn mawr and my new favourite stwlan dam
    i need more bikes
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    Once you are out of Bangor and in the mountains the roads are generally very quiet. Just look at a good map and pick a route! Good cafes: Y Pantri, Llanberis; Eric's in Tremadog; Seren in Bethesda :-)
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Nice route from bangor to trefor then right over to morfa,good hills and stunning views.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • allen
    what about Bangor out to beddgelert cut through on B roads and then over to Capel Curig and back down the Ogwen Valley. Looks about 50 mls and i guess the prevailing wind will be behind us at times...any thoughts local gurus ?
  • ianspeare
    ianspeare Posts: 110
    Spent 3 years at the uni there myself. Head out to Anglesey. Either South to Newborough-Rhosneiger-Valley or North Amlwch-Cemaes-Valley. Use the A5 as your escape route. It's pan flat and relatively quiet because of the A55. Of course if you're up to it, you can do the whole circumnavigation in a day.
  • allen
    Good thought but kind of keen to get the mountains in....
  • allen
    Thanks all going to hit the google maps !
  • allen
    Think we will go for the Bangor , Beddg, Capel,Ogwen tour f the weather is anything like as looking at the map it will be a great circumvent of the area. Any comments local people? Best cafe say at Beddg or is there somewhere secret that only locals know !
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    my faves are erics in tremadog if you go that far - otherwise the cafe on the left a few miles out of beddgelert towards the gwynant... infact i think its called the gwynant cafe - its after a long layby and you walk up a slope to it - your bike can wait outside under cover and in view!
    i need more bikes