Cotic Soul Aka Project Poppy

Motley13
Motley13 Posts: 89
edited July 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Hii all, thought id post this up now so i can show you all my current project im just starting. This is the first time ive ever built bike so any and all help and comments are greatly appreciated. The base of the new bike is a Cotic Soul frame in Duck egg blue, which has a Hope headset and BB already on it. The forks are Fox 2013 Float 32 140 CTD-ADJ FIT 15QR.

DSCF0974_zps74f739bc.jpg

The only other part i have at the moment are the brakes which are Shimano Deores.

DSCF0975_zps01997098.jpg

As it stands this is going to be a longish term project, as i am planning on spreading the cost out other a few different paydays. Soo far i have no real budget for it either, im just using the theory that it is a treat to myself so i can spend as much as i want on it as you may be able to tell from the forks :roll: Just got to decide what other parts im going to buy to put on it now as i have no idea at the moment :D

Comments

• DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I've never built my own bike but... I guess it's all about common sense and not rushing lol.

I love the frame.
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    Very nice I think this is the first duck egg blue Soul build we have seen on here. looking forward to following your progress.Coming to think about it not seen a green soul either.......
  • Dam0-MSC
    Dam0-MSC Posts: 21
    Lovely colour, good luck with the build
    Pride and joy
    MSC - Hunter
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    Ah, a fellow soul owner/rider. Looking forward to seeing this unfold. Good luck with it.
  • Motley13
    @lexD wrote:
    Very nice I think this is the first duck egg blue Soul build we have seen on here. looking forward to following your progress.Coming to think about it not seen a green soul either.......

The fact ive never seen another duck egg blue Soul was one of the things thats swayyed me towards the colour, plus the fact i can make a Gulf Oil coloured bike which i am :lol:
  • Motley13
    Update time, after abit of searching around looking at parts and reading reviews ive moved forward abit now. As you can see from the picture below it actually looks like a bike now. I settled on Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo hubs with Mavic 717 rims for the wheels managed to get them for a good deal after spending a couple of hours comparing prices everywhere. Next step im going to get some tyres for it then ill be off round to my LBS for them to attach the forks to the frame and sort a few other things for me :)

DSCF0977_zps5b24379a.jpg

The only other news on this build i have is that i think i have decided what gears to have. Im currently looking at running a full Shimano SLX package. The reviews i have read are all positive about them so seems like a good route to go down.

I also need to find a way to protect the frame as i really dont want to scratch it up to much, anyone got any suggestions on how to protect it at all??
  • @lexD
    Looking good there mate,helitape is what you need available on eBay and all good bike shops. I have just done my soul on the lower side of the down tube,chain stay and the head and seat tube where the cables may rub.
  • PIKEO
    PIKEO Posts: 82
    yeah paragon tapes on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/paragontapes/ ... ksid=p3686 great to deal with and he can do custom kits for the bike if you ask
  • HarryK
    HarryK Posts: 84
    Invisiframe is supposed to be very good at protecting your frame but barely being able to see the tape/ film thats on your bike. Other wise I just got some heli-tape and stuck it where cables were going to rub.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Ventureshield is excellent, and all but invisible once applied. I don't know if anyone does Ventureshield MTB kits, but you can buy it in various sized sheets to cut your own patterns from.
  • Motley13
    Thanks for all the help guys, gone and got some tape from Pargon tapes so shall see what its like once it has turned up. Bit of a little update, i now have tyres, so got them on to the rims and they do look nice. I have gone with Schwalbe Nobbly Nic's on the front wheel and Schwalbe Tacing Ralph's on the rear wheel.

DSCF1032_zps4eac401a.jpg

Also i came home from work yesterday to a nice big parcel sitting there waiting for me. What is contained was a full Shimano SLX gear package that i managed to get for just over £220, thought that was a pretty good deal tbh.

DSCF1033_zpsb7c180e5.jpg

Havent got much left to get now just got to get it all topgether now. I did say i was going to spread the cost out over many paydays but that idea has seemed to of gone straight out the window tbh, but its worth it i think im in love with it already :roll:
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    Parts look good, cant wait to see it built up.
  • DanDax1990
    Those Coco Pops look soooo good!
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    Another to the soul family!! Lovely colour too!
    you may find that the slx cassette chews the hub body a bit as they use a steel body for most the cogs?? i certainly found it did on my American classics, run sram pg990 or xt now, (hopes do have a soft hub body)

just wait till you get your first Proper ride on it!! Awesome bikes!!!

(btw. you need to sort your valve/tyre logo alignment out!! ;-) )
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Motley13
    I actually cant wait to ride it now, hopefully will have most of it together by the weekend and then gettig the last parts on payday. Ordered my custom saddle already though :D And what do you mean about the alignment?? Im still new so go easy on me :)
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    Haha! You Must have your valve lined up centrally with the Logo on the tyre, if you don't the trail gods will tell All the lady bikers your not Rad and thus they won't swoon over you!!

In seriousness, you line them up so in the event of a puncture you have a reference point to look for thorns etc. Compared wiith the tube, - going tubeless solves that but you still Need to line up your valves and logo's!

Is also customary although nbot so on here to comment on anything but the bike in the picture, wonky fences, weeds, dead flowers etc. What ever you can spot! ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • Kowalski675
    DanDax1990 wrote:

Pepsi Max though? Rank, lol.
  • Motley13
    Haha! You Must have your valve lined up centrally with the Logo on the tyre, if you don't the trail gods will tell All the lady bikers your not Rad and thus they won't swoon over you!!

In seriousness, you line them up so in the event of a puncture you have a reference point to look for thorns etc. Compared wiith the tube, - going tubeless solves that but you still Need to line up your valves and logo's!

Ohhhh :L may do that later after work then, got to make it look right :wink:
    DanDax1990 wrote:

How can you not like Pepsi Max its lovely
  • viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12928611

cotic owners thread!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • DanDax1990
    Motley13 wrote:

Ohhhh :L may do that later after work then, got to make it look right :wink:
    DanDax1990 wrote:

Cherry Coke is the one for me!

Reallllllllly want a BFe 2 frame!
    How can you not like Pepsi Max its lovely
  • Motley13
    Well she is all done and built up now. Ive been for a few rides on the bike and i must say i am in love with it. Im soo happy with it all and soo glad i decided to go with the Cotic frame. For now im calling it complete but ill most likely end up finding something to upgrade or change at some point. The whole spec of the bike is:

Frame: Cotic Soul Large in Duck Egg
    Forks: Fox 2013 Float 140 CTD-ADJ FIT 15 QR Tapered
    Bars: Raceface Respond Riser
    Stem: Thompson
    Headset: Hope
    Grips: Custom Superstar Excell

Front Brake: Shimano Deore M596
    Rear Brake: Shimano Deore M596
    Shifters: Shimano SLX M670
    Front Mech: Shimano SLX M671 Conventional
    Rear Mech: Shimano SLZ M670 SGS

Seat: Custom Charge Spoon
    Seat Post: Thompson

Chainset: Shimano SLX M670 Triple 175mm
    Chain: Shimano HG74
    Cassette: Shimano SLX HG81 10 Speed 11-34
    Pedals: Superstar Nano Thru Pin
    Bottom Bracket: Hope

Front Wheel: Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo with Mavic 717 rims
    Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic
    Back Wheel: Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo with Mavic 717 rims
    Tire: Schwalbe Racing Ralph

And here is Poppy all built up,

DSCF1113_zpsb7ca5fe8.jpg

DSCF1109_zpsb83e7c18.jpg

DSCF1108_zps348a9ef7.jpg

DSCF1107_zpsaabe7ca6.jpg

DSCF1111_zps88fb1f62.jpg

DSCF1110_zps2d36b866.jpg

And here she is on the first proper ride,

DSCF1115_zpsa8b818a8.jpg

Got my first ever race later, a 12 hour night enduro, with the bike soo should be funn and a good test for it to.
  • Lovely bike fella!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    Very nice. Let us know how the race goes
  • @lexD
    Very nice mate I was expecting it to be more gulf oil than that but it is very sweet all the same. Good luck in the race do the cotic crew proud :D 8)
  • Motley13
    Well the race went okay last night, really did throw myself in the deep end, first race ive ever done and it was a 12 hour night endurance race. Was brilliant fun but came 13th out of 14 in my class (pairs) but my friend who i did it with had an injury half way through the night which pushed us down abit but owell it was for chairty and fun was had for sure. Would i do it again and look at other races, of course i will :P

The bike rode wonderfully and ive finally geled with it to which is nice. Already found one thing that i need to change, the grips. They are abit to long atm so just need to change them out with new ones otherwise everything is all good at the moment. Needs a wash now though after the race, the trails were dusty as hell so the bike ended up as a sand colour all over which was rather funny.
    @lexD wrote:
    Very nice mate I was expecting it to be more gulf oil than that but it is very sweet all the same. Good luck in the race do the cotic crew proud :D 8)

If you mean theres not enough orange on it, im planning on finding ways of getting more orange on there if i can :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    Nice looking bike, but Pepsi Max is still bottled dog's p*ss, lol.
  • Motley13
    Nice looking bike, but Pepsi Max is still bottled dog's p*ss, lol.

Haha if it makes it better ive got Coke Zero atm, i just buy what ever is on offer at work
  • Kowalski675
    Nope, that's rank too, lol. :lol: