Triple - Double and Bash Conversion Problem?

BlueDynamo
BlueDynamo Posts: 143
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Right I've purchase the following parts from CRC to convert from a 9-speed triple chainring setup (44-32-22) to a double and bash (36-22).

11-34 9-speed SRAM Cassette
Blackspire Stinger BB Mount
Blackspire C4 Bash (came with longer bolts)
SRAM 9-speed chain
22T (64mm BCD) Shimano Deore M530 Inner Ring
36T (104mm BCD) Shimnao Deore M530 Middle Ring

Both the Deore rings have been supplied in packaging with a tick in the triple box (3x) which I thought was strange. I've fitted the inner ring to my crank fine but the middle ring will only fit to the outside of the crank. The flange next to the middle ring bolt hole clashes with the inner side of the main crank flange. I presume the middle ring has to be fitted to the inside of the main crank flange as the bash has to be fitted to the outside of the crank flange (i.e. in place of the olfd outer ring)?

Help would be welcome!
"One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    inner ring = inner

middle ring= middle

bash = outer

if the bike is full sus when setting up the front mech make sure the rear end at full travel wont fowl on the mech..

lock the front mech with the high adjust screw so it won't go close to the bash guard

thats about it
  • BlueDynamo
    Thanks. I have a hardtail so fortunately don't have to worry about the rear suspension.

The problem I'm having is that the middle ring that I have been sent doesn't fit where the middle ring of my triple chainring sat. It doesn't sit flush.

I've checked my crank and it is definitely 104 BCD. The middle chainring I have purchased is definitely 104 BCD but it is almost as though the flanges next to the middle ring bolt hole are too big and clash with the crank flange. Could this be a manufacturing defect?
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

• BlueDynamo
    See below the photo comparing my old middle ring (black) and my new middle ring (silver in the background). Notice how the flanges on the new ring next to the bolt hole are too big. Doesn't seem right to me.

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Common issue. Take a file to it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BlueDynamo
    Common issue. Take a file to it.

Thanks. After half an hour filing I went to fit the chainring to the bash and crank only to find out that CRC didn't provide any outer bolts to fasten the inner bolts they included with order. D'oh!

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Use the ones off the old crank.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BlueDynamo
    cooldad wrote:
    Use the ones off the old crank.

Unfortunately they are too short so when I tighten the bolt the thread only goes so far into the outer bolt sleeve.