Tour de France Wildcards

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,241
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Europcar
Cofidis
Sojasun

Now there's a surprise.

Cofidis & Sojasun could sack all their riders and replace them with orang utans and they would still get an invite.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Orang Utans? - is he one of those Columbians?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    To be fair to ASO, nonne of the alternatives are overly convincing.
    Colombia would be cool, but they need at least one of the bigger name Colombians in there to really warrant selection. MTN would be great for globalisation and so, but apart from Ciolek they need to show much more. IAM has some solid, consistent pros, but lacks exciting riders. Vini Fantini and Androni focus on Italy and rely on ex-dodgy riders. Who else?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I would have selected IAM over Sojasun as I think IAM has better quality riders and is (slightly) more interesting.

Cofidis and Europcar have worked hard this year and deserve it. Cofidis given a spot to make up for having to wear the ugliest yellow helmets ever made.... from 1985.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Very disappointed but not surprised Bretagne Seche didn't make it.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    All countries that have a cycling tour on home ground will select the best of their lower division teams.
    The French are no different in wanting support from home spectators.
    It is after all a French traveling "Carnival".
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I always like Caja Rural, their riders are always up the road going banzai for it!
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Good for TV coverage in France that the breaks on the flat stages are likely, as ever, to be driven by French teams - and having 5 in the race puts that in concrete.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Orang Utans? - is he one of those Columbians?

:D
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Europcar
    Cofidis
    Sojasun

Now there's a surprise.

Cofidis & Sojasun could sack all their riders and replace them with orang utans and they would still get an invite.

They are noted climbers so would suit the parcours.

Although I worry about the effect their rivalry with Spartacus would have on the rest of the peloton.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i98QrSSHxo4
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Can't believe Torku aren't in there - Sayar looked like he could win it...

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I feel sorry for the team IAM. I hoped, that they would be accepted for the 4th Wildcard, but after the UCI had to reinstall Katusha as World Tour Team, the ASO decided to cancel one Wildcard.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Not worth a new thread. The Vuelta have gone for Caja Rural, Cofidis and Net App.

Cofidis: Never in the field of Grand Tour cycling has so much been given to so few for so little.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    RichN95 wrote:
    Not worth a new thread. The Vuelta have gone for Caja Rural, Cofidis and Net App.

Cofidis: Never in the field of Grand Tour cycling has so much been given to so few for so little.
    TBF they did win the Vuelta mountain classification for four years between 2008 and 2011 with Moncoutie
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    They also have Daniel Navarro this year, who could have a decent race now that he's free of Contador duty.