CAAD 10 diy tips for crown race setting

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited April 2013 in Workshop
Part a)I have a new set of forks for a CAAD10.
The tool at over 25 quid would just sit in the toolbox for ever and a day
As seting the crown race is a pretty rare event for me and I know I can detour to my LBS for a favour, but what diy techniques have people used to set the crownrace in?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Plastic pipe of the right-ish diameter and a mallet
    left the forum March 2023
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I assume you are changing the whole head set? My top tip for setting the crown race is to drop the top of the old head set turned upside down over the steer tube onto the new crown race. Then if you can find a piece of plastic pipe the right size place that over the steer tube and old head set and whack it with a mallet. If you can't find a plastic tube, as I couldn't, use a bit of wood and, quite forcefully, tap it on to the old headset to force the crown race into place, moving it around the steer tube as you go.

Also, before trying to seat the crown race, check for any burrs on the crown of the forks, and grease it up nicely.

Do make sure it is seated properly, or you'll have problems with free movement when steering.
  • islandman
    islandman Posts: 73
    Grease it then put in freezer for an hour in a plastic bag, usually shrinks it enough to drop in easily.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    islandman wrote:
    Grease it then put in freezer for an hour in a plastic bag, usually shrinks it enough to drop in easily.
    except that you want a crown race to get bigger rather than smaller.

copper pipe works well..
    but it does depend on what type of race it is.

if is is an actual race then take care of the bearing face if it is just a wedge then not quite so much care is needed as the bearing do not run on it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jgsi
    islandman wrote:

Not understanding that bit , sorry...

I used a piece of plastic piping to set the race down... tapered steerer tube.
    It is on, looks level and seated...

kwy2h26.jpg
    s0BqScU.jpg
  • jgsi
  • Plastic pipe of the right-ish diameter and a mallet

+ 1. With a bit of grease.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    i just put all the headset parts together, slide the crown race on the fork and tighten the stem cap bolt, gradually pushes the crown race on...