New to the road

dav1d1
dav1d1 Posts: 653
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hello,

Names david from lancashire Am new to road cycling been interested in it past couple of years but never done it so been looking at a ribble bike, either the 7005 or 7046 curved! And just look for help and advice also where's good places to ride, been looking at the Lake District

Comments

• cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Hi David. You are i Lancashire - it's a good place to ride :-) The lake district is fine, but I am sure ou'll have some nice roads almost on your doorstep.

Whereabouts in Lancs are you? I'm between Bolton and Wigan.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • dav1d1
    Hello

Am between blackburn and Preston
  • cattytown
    Cool - quite a few options - an obvious start if you like hills is to head south towards Rivington, There do see to be a few newcomers around our area - There's another thread from someone a few miles out of Preston. I only got back on the bike late last year (defy 2012) and until I can manage proper miles I am riding around Wigan/Chorley quite a bit.
    Giant Defy 2
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    The Trough Of Bowland is nearer and quieter than The Lakes and is fantastic cycling, some steep hills though. Also Parbold and Ashurst Beacon area are good.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cattytown
    Looking at Parbold en route to southport soon. Was surprised to see Southport is closer than I thought at 25 miles.
    Giant Defy 2
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    And as there is usually a decent westerly wind you should get blown all the way home. I do it in the other direction.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    cattytown wrote:
    Looking at Parbold en route to southport soon. Was surprised to see Southport is closer than I thought at 25 miles.

My parents lives in Southport,i live in Lowton/Leigh and will ride that way one day.I sometimes go that way in the car and other times i go through Rainford then onto Ormskirk.But the Parbold way is a nice ride i would imagine,though not too sure about the Wiggin tree hill. :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • cattytown
    Davdandy - I am in Westhoughton, so close by.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Davdandy
    cattytown wrote:
    Davdandy - I am in Westhoughton, so close by.

Only upt`road then. :D

We will have to meet up for a ride soon.How about it?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • cattytown
    Would be cool - want to get a bit fitter before riding with others as I dont want to be holding anyone up.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Davdandy
    cattytown wrote:
    Would be cool - want to get a bit fitter before riding with others as I dont want to be holding anyone up.

Only been doing it myself for a couple of months,although i bought my bike late last year i didn't use it through the Winter months but now i am out much more,weather permitting.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • cattytown
    Cool - will see what I have on the next few weekends.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Davdandy
    edited April 2013
    You can`t miss me,i`m wearing a blue Aldi top with 3/4 length shorts.I look a bit odd but what the hell,its the ride that counts not the clothing.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • cattytown
    Indeed. I'm 16 1/2 stone, and a bright blue jersey. You're looking a bit quicker than me!
    Giant Defy 2
  • Davdandy
    cattytown wrote:
    Indeed. I'm 16 1/2 stone, and a bright blue jersey. You're looking a bit quicker than me!

I have good days and bad ones and some days i just want to ride and take in the scenery and fresh air.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • dav1d1
    Thanks for all the replies and looks like there is alot of other places I didn't think about riding and also lots of people
    Local who ride in the same places