Vote UKIP - stop cyclists stealing roadspace!

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Yes Rolf, the UKIP candidate comes across as a complete @rse.

As regards you being partisan, you linked 2 statements.

The media decide what opinions the stupid should have.
    If UKIP does well, it will be down to the media.

The inference from this is that UKIP will do well because their stupid voters were given their opinion by the media. The inference is perhaps more striking if you read the statements thus:

If UKIP does well, it will be down to the media.
    The media decide what opinions the stupid should have.

Errr, but it is UKIP we are talking about!

How about
    It was the Sun wot won it
    I (and everyone else) can try to qualify every comment I make on this topic with "Disclaimer: The media may also misrepresent other political and non political information to suit their stories and hence profits" but it would be pretty tedious. Randomly accusing me of being partisan on this basis is something that a politician might do to enable a biased media to misrepresent anothers opinion to suit his own ends - surely we are better than politicians? :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    cyclists are a minority, it matters little if those in power p them off. cyclists are not going to win or lose an election.

True - but quite a large minority. And a lot of large minorities pissed off equals a majority. In this case, the UKIP candidate doesn't even realise that most cyclists are also car drivers so he is actively alienating people he thinks are supporting him. But of course, one issue parties like this effectively mostly preach to the converted and hence rarely get in and even more rarely stay in.
  • i disagree, the sort who will read that survey, such as us who frequent cycling websites is definetely a small minority. it wont matter a jot to this fella's chances. he does come across as a burk though.

ukip are not single issue. withdrawl from the eu, impacts almost every facet of life.
  • A bit of Devil's Advocate \ Outright Flamebait here, but here goes anyway...

It's easy to shrug off the UKIP candidate's answers as dozy prejudice. To my mind anyway, that's entirely counter-productive, especially given the subject matter, which isn't just the issue of cyclists in town, but one of motorists perceptions of cyclists in a city with a very high level of bike usage, a good proportion of whom are students who almost certainly have very minimal experience of driving (and, incidentally, probably pay neither Council tax nor VED, but that's a crass argument anyway).

As someone who has cause to drive in Cambridge on a semi-regular basis, I am very much of the opinion that there are sufficient kamikaze pilots on the roads (and, frankly, everywhere else) that it's extremely easy to form an opinion to the effect of "cyclists are nutters" when driving around there. It doesn't matter than the overwhelming majority act responsibly, because it's the idiot minority one remembers.

I really do think that there's a lot to be learned from places like Cambridge with respect to improving the integration of cyclists and the rest of the traffic in towns, but it's undeniable that one of the areas that needs scrutiny is that of policing and standards of conduct when it comes to cyclists. Unless those areas addressed, then the UKIP chap's attitude is always going to be very tough to overcome.
    Mangeur
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    it's undeniable that one of the areas that needs scrutiny is that of policing and standards of conduct when it comes to cyclists

Given that 10s of deaths and 10,000s of serious motoring offenses are caused/committed by motorists in Cambridgeshire each year, it'd be better to focus on driving standards.
  • rolf_f
    i disagree, the sort who will read that survey, such as us who frequent cycling websites is definetely a small minority. it wont matter a jot to this fella's chances. he does come across as a burk though.

That's true enough though in this instance though, looking at it the other way, it is probably equally true that these surveys probably have little impact anyway. It is whether he puts forward these opinions somewhere that is really influential that would I think make more of a difference.
  • ooermissus wrote:
    it's undeniable that one of the areas that needs scrutiny is that of policing and standards of conduct when it comes to cyclists
    Given that 10s of deaths and 10,000s of serious motoring offenses are caused/committed by motorists in Cambridgeshire each year, it'd be better to focus on driving standards.
    Having spent most of my life as a vulnerable road user (bike and motorbike) on a small, manoeuvrable vehicle that can, should the rider so chose, appear from a direction and in a location that car drivers won't be expecting, I disagree completely.

Until someone overcomes the fundamental human limitation of having two eyes located on the front of the skull, there will always be a gulf between what's technically legal to do, and what's actually safe. Standing in said gulf is optional, and entirely within the control of the vulnerable road user. I reckon it's best not to do it.
    Mangeur
  • indeed. i doubt hes sticking this stuff down on his campaign leaflets
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 27
    He's a prize tool IMHO.

I'd seriously like to see the figures of those who cycle who also pay road tax for other vehicles -how then could they as cyclists be 'stealing' from the road tax payer who is also themselves?
    Road tax doesn't get spent on roads anyway and the roads are in a poorer state towards the edges where 2 wheelers tend to get bullied into in any case.

Frankly using emotive rhetoric as 'stealing/theft' makes the user of those phrases a tool by definition -if you couldn't prove it in a court of law you shouldn't say it.

As well all know and he ignores, if every cyclist he encounters was to be in a car in front of him instead he'd have far more to worry about -he only notices cyclists alleged infringements of the RTA because he is looking out for them and exaggerating those that he sees, if he were to look out for all the car drivers that fail RTA provisions he'd have a very full time job!

I seem to remember one country (Holland?) where in the event of an accident blame automatically (unless proven otherwise) falls to the biggest vehicle 1st -it generally being less vulnerable, that seems sensible to me.

UKIP wouldn't get my vote in any case unless there were only 3 candidates BNP, EDL and them!
  • timbo58 wrote:

I seem to remember one country (Holland?) where in the event of an accident blame automatically (unless proven otherwise) falls to the biggest vehicle 1st -it generally being less vulnerable, that seems sensible to me.
    Most of rest of EU I believe. The UK decided to opt out, possibly due to influence of the insurance industry or the car lobby.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    And in other UKIP news. The comments in today's Daily UKIP in this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... alute.html

Click on Best Rated. That's your future ENGERLAAAND that is :lol: ;-)
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Loving the DM comment "it's a Roman salute, so that's OK."

Even if it were so we'd be free of a Nazi but would still have the sort of quasi-literate who has no idea that right-of-center pubic figures need to make a 100 mile B-line around anything that could be remotely connected with the radical hard-regimes of the past...
  • come on ukip, lets all get out and sweep them to power. as for the chingford skinhead, top bloke, Cameron should get him in charge of policy. (plus he was pro cyclist...)
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    We'll all enjoy complying with this UKIP cycling policy:
    Local authorities should be given additional powers to enforce a ‘cyclists dismount’ or ‘no cycling’ regulation where there are safety concerns – such as on busy roundabouts, junctions or bus lanes, or where the road would be too narrowed by cycle lanes and cause unacceptable delays to traffic.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    In Cambridge, there are a massive number of cyclists, and huge numbers of them are terrible road users, especially foreign students, they really are a danger to themselves on the roads, half of them don't have a clue how to use the roads. As someone who cycles round here regularly, the cycle "lanes" are massively confusing, it doesn't help that most cyclists jump red lights and ride on pavements etc...

That said, there are still a huge number of dangerous drivers, and a dangerous driver is a danger to others, not just themselves, a bad cyclist is just a danger to themselves or an unaware pedestrian!

I do have to say that I can sympathise with the UKIP "idiot" on some of his anti-cycling rants about Cambridge cyclists, but obviously the "cyclists don't pay for squat" attitude is a stupid standpoint.
  • woo woo woo
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    woo woo woo

Although UKIP are taking some votes from Labour, my concern would be that come a General Election, a split in the right vote would land us with that w@nker Milliband and his puppet master McCluskey.
  • well DC and the tories have done f all. so miliband/cameron no real difference. the hope is ukips rise makes the tories go back to there roots and adopt some proper tory policies on certain issues.

i saw question time last night. starkey was brilliant, telling some hard truths. the left simply dont see that anything needs to be done. it appears they think borrowing and debt dont need to resolved.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    well DC and the tories have done f all. so miliband/cameron no real difference. the hope is ukips rise makes the tories go back to there roots and adopt some proper tory policies on certain issues.

i saw question time last night. starkey was brilliant, telling some hard truths. the left simply dont see that anything needs to be done. it appears they think borrowing and debt dont need to resolved.

As I have said before, the main parties have badly misjudged the depth of feeling in the country towards Europe. The Tories may have left it too late to come up with the policies like we want and will let Milliband in, through a split in the right vote.
    As you say, politicians, especially the left will not listen, and amazingly don't think they have any responsibility for the deficit that we have now.
  • not just politicians wont listen, the 'im owed something' culture is prevelant in lots of people still. cant cut anything, dont understand about debt and borrowing.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548

Ah - Starkey last night. The token male on the panel and he made a right @*$* of himself. Shouting over the other contributers. Appeared a bit of a bully, really.

Is this what voting Tory or UKIP means? Hope not.

-Spider-
  • no he didnt, he talked actual sense and the fact peopel need to acknowledge and then address that the country is screwed. victoria cohen trying to make fun of him and stupid comments about bus passes, yet not actually offering a solution to the countries problems. yep lets keep ignoring our problems and hope they go away, and continue the give give give mantra. well if we do sometime soon it will all come crashing down and we will be even more screwed! his poitn about the entitlement of harman, cohen, dimbleby and that liberal woman, was spot on and they didnt like it. They have all had easy lives, and can attribute there current positions significantly to the fate of birth.