Startern's Thread of Nukes

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Any film of the nuclear hand grenade being tested?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Theres a guy smoking in the trenches - doesnt he know its bad for your health :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    The book was better :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,546
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Any film of the nuclear hand grenade being tested?
    That doesn't sound like a good idea - how would you throw it far enough? :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Did you notice the residual shock wave initially moving the dust away from the explosion and then it returning because of the partial vacuum that the shock wave left in its wake? No? Well watching people smoke is not the way to analyse data on nuclear explosions.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Wish that they would test one in Harlow.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Lagrange wrote:
    Wish that they would test one in Harlow.

Or Mansfield, just a small one, tactical device ....
    :shock:
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • startern
    startern Posts: 175
    Considering recent events of political posturing by our world leaders I decided to make this thread. As a way to bring another story/angle to light to my fellow Bikeradar readers. This I hope is mildly entertaining and informative in its own way from our usual BB topics.

Clearly from those pictures, the US who first possessed the Bomb knew little of what they were doing. They had some idea of radiation. The meat of the project was primarily focussed in the way the bomb worked. Little attention was paid to what happened thereafter. The Atom/Hydrogen Bomb was often tested out in the open. In more recent times Nuclear testing has been done underground.

The sorry state of play in the world today is to reach the top and stay there in attaining Nuclear weapons. If you already have one, you make more. Having nuclear weapons doesn't mean you'd actually use it, but use it to intimidate others with it. If both sides have such weapons then it's a game of status-qua (as seen during the Cold War with MAD -- Mutually Assured Destruction).
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    'British Nukes were protected by bike locks':

_44242148_key_203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7097101.stm

"The Bomb is actually armed by inserting a bicycle lock key into the arming switch and turning it through 90 degrees. There is no code which needs to be entered or dual key system to prevent a rogue individual from arming the Bomb. "

That looks suspiciously like the key for my old Kryptonite lock, which can apparently be opened with a Bic pen:

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/ ... 4/09/64987
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    All those nuclear films 'The day after', 'Threads' set in Sheffield etc etc, used to give me nightmares as a kid
    Here is a fascinating but somewhat morbid propoganda film the yanks made, so full if sh1t:

"At least we have nothing to worry about - we are the one's who got the bomb"...."Shredded lead, which gives resistance to atomic rays"
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    'Threads' may be the scariest horror film ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg

Still, the atomic age wasn't all bad:

http-inlinethumb43.webshots.com-30762-2650290350103691965S425x425Q85.jpg
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Was anyone else on here taught to "duck and cover" at school? I was and I didn't realise what it why and I sort of forgot about it until I saw a film years after of some school kids being taught the same thing.

I've often wonder if Mrs Roberts was just following her orders to teach us that crap, or if she truly believed she might be helping to save the young Slog and his classmates. It must have been about 1965 or 66, too late for the Cuban Missile Crisis, so what would have sparked it at that time?

The older I get, the better I was.

• startern
    startern Posts: 175
    They don't know what they teach in schools.
    For me, school was a holistically crap experience. Didn't learn a thing. I dare to think what the sorry state of affairs is nowadays. You've got to feel for poor youngsters/students at school even these days. Maybe school is just an institution to keep them simply occupied, whilst managing to teach absolutely zit.