Why do you ride?

2»

Comments

• Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    I get a huge buzz out of the physical effort of it. Zipping along at 20+mph; getting to the top of a tough climb; targeting a sprint segment on Strava - all those things give me a huge high and lift my spirits for the rest of the day.

I like the idea of a leisurely cycling holiday on a nice comfy tourer; taking in the scenery somewhere spectacular and would like to do that one day, maybe with the family when the kids are older. At the moment though, even though I prefer cycling somewhere nice like the Surrey Hills, its all about pushing myself and feeling the burn.
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    I ride for several reasons, fitness, freedom, ability to forget all of lifes stresses, its nice to get out in the country side and enjoy roads you don't normally see or even know exist oh and I like riding in general, I might not be as serious about it as many others, but as long as I enjoy my rides thats all I worry about.
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's a much better antidepressant than anything you can get on prescription!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    keef66 wrote:
    It's a much better antidepressant than anything you can get on prescription!
    Absolutely. When I am in the saddle everything s just fine. I am in complete control of my life, setting course, speed and direction, fee, clear and beholden to no one.
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    I started when my dad bought me my first mountain bike which I loved going out for rides on. I then took things into my own hands, went out for the fun of exploring places. Next I figured this was actually amazing exercise and it kept my fitness up, which was also great for my squash playing. And now I'm a fully fledged "commuter" sitting here in my first set of SPD shoes and bib shorts!
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    To get away from the wife :lol:
  • Rob85_
    Rob85_ Posts: 29
    I stopped playing football, it was initially a good form of exercise.

I cycle on my own, I have found its a good way to clear my head after frustrating days at work. Also its a good speed to take new places in, I have found a few pubs and places I've then gone and visited with my girlfriend that I wouldn't have known existed without cycling.

I bought turntables when I was younger, and never learn't to DJ, I then bought a decent guitar and never got good at it. Possibly i'm just not the slightest bit musical, but I promised myself that if I spent a fair amount of wonga on a bike I wouldn't give up on it like the others.

Since I bought my Road Bike about nine months ago have cycled 1400 miles and that average is creeping up as im doing more and more. Is there a Cyclist Anonymous because I'm pretty much addicted now? :)
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I like going really fast.

that it really for me.
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    Hybrid bike:
    - As a cheap and convenient means of transport to run errands and explore around.

Road bike (only weekend):
    - For "recovery" from weekday running. It is a low impact exercise good for loosening up the knees.
    - As an occasional secondary sport.
    - For sense of achievement. I am not hardcore but I monitor my average speed for different routes in Excel sheet. It feels good in the morning after the ride.
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    Cake , simple :D
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1