El Guapo/BFe as an all rounder? . . .

LAUNCH69
LAUNCH69 Posts: 119
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
I have come to realise that I only have the space for one bike and it will never be a £4000 uberbike.
I currently ride a 2008 Rockhopper and am looking to upgrade to something more capable, especially in regards to descending.
My riding is mainly Lakes based, but Hamsterly and local woods around Durham make do when time is short.
My bike needs to do my commute as well but seeing as it is under 4 miles, I guess I can do it on anything . . .

I have around £800 to spend on a frame. I already have a set of 2012 Fox 36 RLC TALAS, a pair of flows on pro2 evos and seatpost,bars and stem to use in the build.

I noticed that the EG with monarch is back in stock, and it is quite tempting. However would I be less 'overbiked' with a BFe when it comes to the commute and local blasts?
My main goal is to have a riot on Lakeland rides, but the other factors are always at the back of my mind.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Si
Specialized Rockhopper

Bike is still better than the rider . . .

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The EG's are not in stock! Got an email from On-One today after an enquiry.

Internet fault/stock error. 8-10 weeks before thy have some in...I'm waiting.

//QUOTE

"Hi Felix.

please ignore the stock on the web. it is incorrect. all these frames have been counted in a recent stock take. but were previously quarantined in a QC check. the stock has mistakenly been added in to our system.

we are in the process of removing those now.

sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused

regards

Charlie

//ENDQUOTE
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • LAUNCH69
    Thanks Felix,
    That sort of stops my itchy trigger finger!
    Specialized Rockhopper

• felix.london
    btw - If that's the kit you've got already 160mm (?) fork and a set of Flow's I'd go for the EG.

Obviously over the top for the commute but a blast everywhere else!

I think 160mm on a BFe is right at it's limit, no?

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    LAUNCH69 wrote:
    Thanks Felix,

...saved me £600 which I can't really afford this month. 8-10wks is good for me.

Trek Session 8
  • LAUNCH69
    Right at the limit, but with the option of 120mm for climbing or singletrack . . . .
    Specialized Rockhopper

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I guess it'll come down to whether you want full suss or hardtail, both are good bikes. EGs are pretty sweet though :wink:
    LAUNCH69 wrote:
    Thanks Felix,

...saved me £600 which I can't really afford this month. 8-10wks is good for me.

8-10 weeks from now, awww man, I was told about 8 weeks 2 weeks ago. Meh, I guess they'll arrive when they arrive. You decided which colour you're going for?
  • LAUNCH69
    Thanks for the replies. I am leaning more towards the EG now but the wait will be hard . . .
    Specialized Rockhopper

• felix.london
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I guess it'll come down to whether you want full suss or hardtail, both are good bikes. EGs are pretty sweet though :wink:
    LAUNCH69 wrote:
    Thanks Felix,

8-10 weeks from now, awww man, I was told about 8 weeks 2 weeks ago. Meh, I guess they'll arrive when they arrive. You decided which colour you're going for?

Ha! that's the question - decided on Black from months ago. But with that website error only showing orange, white and raw I'd kinda got used to to the idea of the orange. Can't decide now. The cable routing is pretty pants and think a load of black hoses & cables over the orange frame would make it look even worse! (cables not the frame!)

New hoses and outers = more cash so think I'll stick with black frame and black cables.

Already got black Flow's with Stealth Switch Evo's, Black Domain's, Black Easton Haven bar, black Saint Dual/Bash Crankset, Black XT M780 rear mech etc

...all that would still work with orange though ;)

Trek Session 8
  • LAUNCH69
    EG looks to be back in stock, will be phoning on-one when they open . . . .
    Specialized Rockhopper

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Can you report back as to whether they're actually in stock or it's another error on their website, I'm guessing it's probably an error, if they have got some in stock I want to know why they haven't contacted me to arrange a replacement :lol:
  • felix.london
    Was emailing on-one yesterday.

Sounds like what is in stock now, is the last of the v3 framsets!

Apparently there are TWO new EG frames are in the pipeline - a 140mm trail blaster and a revised 170mm version.

So, basically looks like no black in Medium...looks like it's gonna be orange then

EDIT - btw, I was told that the frames showing on the webby (as in stock) are only good for at least 170mm forks - hence the reason for geo tweaks and a 140mm version. So anyone with a shorter than 170mm fork should look elsewhere

Trek Session 8
  • LAUNCH69
    On-one are doing their normal thing of not picking up the phone. I have emailed to see what they have to say about the frames.
    Specialized Rockhopper

• felix.london
    They're great at replying to my emails though...probably why they're not picking up the phone to you! :D

From On-One;

"Hi the 170mm frames are in stock now but are only limited to the stock that is left then the new frame due in a bout 2 months time which will be 160mm (-180mm)
    Thanks
    Wayne
    "

Trek Session 8