New bike acquired; Trek 3.1

gangxu
gangxu Posts: 25
edited May 2013 in Your road bikes
In preparing for a Lands End to John O’Groats bike ride I’ve ended rediscovering my interest in road bike.
I've treated my self to a lovely pre-owned Trek Madone 3.1 (2011).

The main groupset is 105, but has a smattering of SRAM and Ulterga bits. But the DuraAce wheels are absolutely amazing!!! All in have spent about £1.3K, more than I would like, but I’m really happy with the end result. Despite been 2nd hand the bike really looks new, and with the DuraAce wheels the bike feels lovely…I fear the limiting factor is going to be my legs and lungs :D

Still going to do the ride in my mates old Trek 5500, which has full DuraAce groupset and is only slightly light..I just cannot bare the thought of putting so many miles on my own bike :wink:

8683986736_9d784d890d_b.jpg
8683999256_aa63b36b76_b.jpg
8684003148_ce0df608df_b.jpg

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Why buy a nice bike and not ride it? Seems bad...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Grill wrote:
    Why buy a nice bike and not ride it? Seems bad...

This exactly.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Nice bike, not sure why you would ride the other one over this?!
  • Nice bikes are for riding.....youll never forgive yourself if you dont let that carbon beauty see the countryside.... :D
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    gangxu wrote:
    .I just cannot bare the thought of putting so many miles on my own bike :wink:

Don't confuse putting miles on a bike with putting miles on a car...
  • gangxu
    Don't worry the bike will get plenty of use, but the big ride is only a few weeks away. My body has got use to the older Trek. Did 80miles yesterday, hail, rain, sun, bike covered in all kind of mud/horse poo!! Just cannot bare the thought of my new bike getting so dirty so quickly :D

This is the bike ill be using for the ride, full DuraAce groupset, it's 9 years old but still rather nippy (and light).
    8685602191_a38138ef6a_b.jpg
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    If you only ride your new bike when it's nice in this country it will see 6 days use a year. It doesn't take any time to get used to a new bike as long as the fit is correct.

The old Trek looks to be a size bigger...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • gangxu
    The 5500 is 60cm, the new bike is 58cm. Ideally I think I would like a 59cm frame!!!

The big ride is only a few weeks away and I'm very adjusted/comfy on the 5500. But its going back to my mate after the big ride, so will the new bike will get plenty of use very soon.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    none of this makes any sense...
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Stick the saddle from the bike you're used to on the new bike, buy a stem to replicate the reach if need be and stop being a d!ck ...

Sorry to be harsh but ffs, if the old bike ticked all the boxes you should have bought that and got on with it ...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Yeah I think you might be right, bikes are there for riding!

A dose of Rule #5 is in order I think...
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    If the OP doesn't want to ride his nice bike then let him ride the other one. Jeez.

If I was doing Lejog, I wouldn't do it on my nicer bike and lets be honest the 5500 is hardly a hack.

Nice bike.
  • HTL
    HTL Posts: 23
    Nice Bike - I have the same. The original wheels on the 3.1 are woeful.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12774806
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice bikes are for riding.....youll never forgive yourself if you dont let that carbon beauty see the countryside.... :D

yes :lol:
  • gangxu
    Appreciate all the comments, but I'm sticking to the 5500 for the LEJOG. Not sure why people are getting so worked up about what I do with my, I only posted on here because I was excited to finally own a decent bike :|

Glad the weather is warming up nicely, cannot wait for the big ride :D