Riding Position

jt_intheuk
jt_intheuk Posts: 146
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Just wondering whether when riding technical single track/trails
, does anyone stay dead centre and low on their bike or do you lean slightly left or right in favour of your leading foot while still staying low?
I've got Soul.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never thought about it - wherever I need to be to hopefully not fall off and die. Rarely stay still for long enough anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Pretty much centre & move my weight around to the rear or sides as needed with the bike I guess. I don't think I tend to lean in favour of leading foot though.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • jt_intheuk
    I probably also just hang on and hope I don't die. Back in the days when I used to surf in SA , you were either a natural or goofy footed depending on which foot was facing forwards. Trying to copy that stance/feeling on the bike when you can really flow with the trails in some god-like state:)
    I've got Soul.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm old enough to remember hanging ten, and I don't mean the shorts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You shouldn't be staying anywhere on the bike, you need to move about as the terrain changes, forwards backwards, up down, left right. It's a 3d experience, maaaaan.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    heavy feet, lights hands

etc...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hang off the back letting it all hang loose.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jt_intheuk
    Think I understand the need to move about as the terrain changes, how about your ready "attack" position on the bike.
    I've got Soul.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    jt_intheuk wrote:
    Think I understand the need to move about as the terrain changes, how about your ready "attack" position on the bike.
    What about it?
  • jt_intheuk
    jt_intheuk wrote:
    What about it?
    Dead centre and low?
    I've got Soul.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well, it constantly changes, so, briefly, yes, the rest of the time... not so much.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    To sum up, there is no one position that works for everything, you need to be constantly moving

I find this bloke explains it well - http://www.imbikemag.com/technique/
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    If you're learning technique from anything other than just riding or being taught by an actual person beside you, i'm sorry but you're not going to learn much.

Technique cannot be learned from text or video alone.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    jt_intheuk wrote:
    I probably also just hang on and hope I don't die. Back in the days when I used to surf in SA , you were either a natural or goofy footed depending on which foot was facing forwards.
    Same thing applies in any boardsport.
    However, I'm not aware of any discrepancy in mountain biking stance. It may well be because I've been riding for what seems like an eternity, but I personally find no preference for which foot leads, and will change depending on the situation, or what's coming up, or what I've just ridden over.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    jt_intheuk wrote:
    Dead centre and low?

not too low though, you want your legs bent just a little . I was told on a coaching session that i was too low on the bike and was already in a cramped position so could not absorb all of the bigger hits as i had no where to move.