Bit of Friday fun....

Peanutt
Peanutt Posts: 229
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

I thought I'd share my latest project with you chaps. I like tinkering with bikes, I like riding them too but with a wife and four kids I don't get much time for that. I'm not the sort to be fanatical about how light the bike is or what spec the components are, and for the hour and a half I get each week to ride, a run of the mill budget road bike is all I need.

With that in mind though, I do like to create what I want....

1333099562571-v0vxpy1phlmu-670-75.jpg

from what I've got...

trek1.jpg

It's not the best but not the worst. I had one before that I rebadged as a leopard trek madone, There were some obvious things about it that made it look fake, it wasn't a madone was the biggest one, it wasn't carbon either, it was the wrong shape.

So, having decided to make this new bike a madone with domane colours I set about making the frame a little more madone-ish

trek2.jpg

After a lot of masking, a couple of coats of paint and some laser transfer decals knocked up on the computer the main frame is almost ready for clearcoat. (yes I know the angle of the red and blue flashes is facing the wrong way)

trek3.jpg

I've still got the forks to do. Of course there will probably be some of you who are by now crying with laughter, as I say a bit of fun. And should RSNT ever make it to my home town I'll do my damndest to try and swap it for a real one before they notice!!!!!

So if you see a fat bloke out on a sketchy looking trek say hi as you pass me and remember, you're not the one lugging half a ton of body filler up the hill.

:-)
No matter where you are, that's where you've been

Comments

• paul1275s
    paul1275s Posts: 27
    Like it! As you say, not everyone will be amused but a nice job there!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Ha, that actually looks pretty damn neat!

Sterling effort, really interested to see what it looks like at the end.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    That looks quite ingenious, can't wait to see the finished article :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Brilliant work :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    errmmm, so you take a bike that is brand spangly new...in fact so new it still has bubble wrap on the saddle and then proceed to add copious amounts of polyfilla, sand down the tubes and respray before adding computer generated fake decals. I would like to say that "it is so wrong that it is right", but I really am not sure about the second half of the sentence!

At least you are happy in your lunacy, which is the main thing :)
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Peanutt wrote:
    Hi,

I thought I'd share my latest project with you chaps. I like tinkering with bikes, I like riding them too but with a wife and four kids I don't get much time for that. I'm not the sort to be fanatical about how light the bike is or what spec the components are, and for the hour and a half I get each week to ride, a run of the mill budget road bike is all I need.

With that in mind though, I do like to create what I want....

from what I've got...

It's not the best but not the worst. I had one before that I rebadged as a leopard trek madone, There were some obvious things about it that made it look fake, it wasn't a madone was the biggest one, it wasn't carbon either, it was the wrong shape.

So, having decided to make this new bike a madone with domane colours I set about making the frame a little more madone-ish

After a lot of masking, a couple of coats of paint and some laser transfer decals knocked up on the computer the main frame is almost ready for clearcoat. (yes I know the angle of the red and blue flashes is facing the wrong way)

I've still got the forks to do. Of course there will probably be some of you who are by now crying with laughter, as I say a bit of fun. And should RSNT ever make it to my home town I'll do my damndest to try and swap it for a real one before they notice!!!!!

So if you see a fat bloke out on a sketchy looking trek say hi as you pass me and remember, you're not the one lugging half a ton of body filler up the hill.

:-)

This my friend is what cycling is about - having fun. Some people seem to forget that.

Chapeau to you!
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Certainly made me smile on a Friday :)

Love what you did with the filler :lol:
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Fair play to you, why the hell not :D You're a dab hand with the filler, the lines look excellent.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I do like a project myself,not done one with a bike though but that looks good.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Fair play,thats some workmanship right there.Post up some finished pics and enjoy your ride.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    I remember that 'Madone' you did last year. Wasn't it stolen?

This one's looking good, can't wait to see the finished product!
  • Peanutt
    Ah thanx guys, if you mean this...

trek.jpg

would love to have it back, alas I reckon it's probably in libya by now.
  • Peanutt
    Wow has it really been a year since I posted this??

I had to shelve this project for various reasons but pretty much done now. Decided to drop the top tube graphics.

trek1a.jpg
    trek2a.jpg

Need new saddle and bartape but thats all.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I really like it.

Minor changes - black seatpost, stem and bartape and you are laughing!
  • BLW
    BLW Posts: 96
    I just admire the fact that you have the skills/creativity to actually do all that to a bike and come up with your own design/mods.

I do enjoy seeing the before, work in progress and after pictures, I think it can easily give people the bug to do their own.

Well done

....most I can do is errr, wash it and oil the chain! :oops:
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    The paint work looks good.

I do though have a huge issues with fakes as they devalue the real items.

If you can't afford the real thing then you should buy want you can and be happy with it.

A frame is also only part of the bike. If you put low quality components on it then it will look rubbish - might as well stick with the Rayleigh decals which looked perfectly good.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Such a well done project. It's a shame you stuck the Trek logo on tbh, as an un-badged Madone-a-like I think it'd have been super cool.
  • BrandonA wrote:
    The paint work looks good.

I do though have a huge issues with fakes as they devalue the real items.

If you can't afford the real thing then you should buy want you can and be happy with it.

A frame is also only part of the bike. If you put low quality components on it then it will look rubbish - might as well stick with the Rayleigh decals which looked perfectly good.

I totally disagree with this!

If you can't afford the real thing do what you want with your money and time and if that means making a close substitute that makes you love your pride and joy more, you do it!

Well done, very impressive job 8)
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Nice apart from it being a trek

If I had a trek i'd want it painted over as a carrera tdf :o
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    Nice apart from it being a trek

If I had a trek i'd want it painted over as a carrera tdf :o

Like this one :D
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Peanutt
    Just done 20 mile on it, geeeesh it weighs a ton, if I keep riding this I'll end up with thighs like Cancellara!!! ;-)