Rear Wheel options on a tight budget?

iDad
iDad Posts: 68
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
This week I’ve had a broken spoke repaired and true up on the rear wheel (Shimano M475L Hub, Alex RHD rim) on my 2007 Spesh FSR XC.

The bearings felt a bit “gritty” so while it was at the LBS I had the mechanic strip out and clean/re-grease/set up the axel and bearings for me, he mentioned that the occasional gritty feeling I was getting was due to a bit of damage on a bearing surface. He didn’t think it was bad enough to warrant changing the rear wheel out just yet but I’m now thinking maybe I need to start looking for a replacement in the next few months.

I’ve a very tight budget (kids and partner etc…) so I’m looking at just getting the rear wheel at the moment…budget is £50-£80max any suggestions guys?

I ride trail centre red routes and I’m doing an MTB Marathon in July so I’m looking for something strong and durable.
Oh and I’m 16.5st over 6 footer if that makes a difference to choices.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a 475 hub from CRC for about a tenner and swap the bits in that need swapping - sorted.

Shame on you for using a shop for a spoke and bearing grease!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iDad
    iDad Posts: 68
    not a bad idea tha one pal.

and i was going to do it myself, only fitted a new axel and bearings about 7-8mths ago (myself) i trued the wheel up a few weeks ago and i'm fairly confident that the spoke that broke was one of the ones i had tightened to get the 5mm buckle out the wheel, reason i say that is its about the same buckle again. so just wanted to make sure i hadn't buggered any other spokes up. :oops:

still looking for a stronger replacement wheel though as i'm doing way more riding this last 12mths than the previous few years.