Misshapen CAAD steerer tube

lc1981
lc1981 Posts: 820
edited April 2013 in Workshop
I recently bought a second-hand Cannondale CAAD7 to use when I don't want to use my best bike (i.e. in circuit races). Putting it together, I noticed that the top of the alloy steerer tube is a a bit out of shape, as if the stem has been over-tightened at some point. Here are a couple of photos, which aren't great but give you an idea of how it looks: http://sdrv.ms/Y1eS0U and http://sdrv.ms/11p9fbM.

There don't appear to be any cracks in the steerer, but should I just not risk it and chuck the fork?

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Bit out of shape!?!? Looks like someone's taken a hammer to it! I'm surprised you can get a stem over that - though a photo from the side (and a little bit more in focus if you don't mind me saying) would help. If there's a fair bit of steerer, then I suppose you could cut some off and slam the stem but I would get to your LBS for some advice.
  • lc1981
    I'll get my proper camera out this afternoon and take some more photos. Sorry for the lack of focus, but the camera on my phone didn't want to play ball.
  • lc1981
    Here are some better photos:

P1100044.JPG

P1100046.JPG

P1100047.JPG

P1100048.JPG
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    If there is enough steerer when assembled on the bike I would be inclined to cut it down, it looks like it's taken a knock rather than excessively tightened stem bolts.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Agreed.

Looking at the grease marks, I'm guessing there's a fair bit protruding out of the head tube - so cut the deformed top off and slam the stem. If there's not enough length to do that - or the bars will be too low for you, I think it's time for a new fork.
  • lc1981
    There's enough tube to cut it down a fair bit. I've got a bike fit booked in a few weeks, so will probably wait until I've had that done to see how low I can get away with having the stem.
  • lc1981
    In fact, if it needs to be replaced if I want the bars kept at the current height, I might as well cut it down anyway and see how I get on with lower bars.