Front Der. XTR on Spark, Impossible ?

eimart
eimart Posts: 52
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello guys,

i have a problem here and i need help to solve it.
My frame is a Scott Spark 900 RC 2013. And i am using a Shimano XTR Double M980 Crankset 38-26T.
I am looking for a XTR Front Der. to use with my system (that is all xtr)BUt...
-The XTR M980 Front Deraileur is only for Triple Cranksets; so... no good for me (mine is double)
-The XTR M985-E is for use with 40-44T cranks; (no good for me, mine is 38T)
-The XTR M-985-E2 is compatible with my 38T crankset. But it is not compatible with the Spark frame. no good for me, my frame is a spark

Any suggestions ?
Is it impossible to use a 38-26T system and a complete XTR kit with a Spark frame ?

Thanks,

Eimart

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's wrong with a m986, that is a double and fits your rings.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    M986 isn't e-type IIRC.

Why doesn't the E2 fit? I thought it was just the same, with a smaller radius cage?
  • eimart

The FD-M986 isnt E-Type. I dont think the Spark 900 RC 2013 Frame will accept another mount type instead the BB plate mount of E-Type.
    Do you know if the M986 is compatible with the Spark frame ?
  • eimart
    njee20 wrote:
    M986 isn't e-type IIRC.

Why doesn't the E2 fit? I thought it was just the same, with a smaller radius cage?

Apparently there is one model ( FD-M986-D ) That is Direct Mount on the frame with 1 bolt.
    But i dont know if this type of mount is compatible with Spark 900 RC 2013 Frame.
    I tried to contact an Authorized Scott Dealer here in my country but they replied to me that they dont have this information.
    Can anyone please confirm to me if this version of FD-M986-D (M986 Direct Mount) is compatible with Scott Spark 2013 frame ?

About the E2 and E versions, the E2 version (that is for 38T) does not come with the BB plate mount. And i dont think the spark have that 2 holes to fix it in the frame.

Thanks for the help,
  • eimart

And the M986 is DOwn Swing, all sparks come with Top Swing.
    Is it a problem ?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I looked at a pic of your frame and concluded no banded mech will work, either swing. OE it comes with xx, but has xx cranks so?????
  • eimart
    I looked at a pic of your frame and concluded no banded mech will work, either swing. OE it comes with xx, but has xx cranks so?????

I bought only the frame and i am trying to mouns a Full XTR system on it.
    I am using a XTR M980 Crankset (38T-26T),
    I am trying to find what type of mount do i need, i dont know if the Spark 900 RC uses 1 bolt or 2 bolts to use Direct Mount on the frame.

Thanks !
  • eimart
    T What is the difference of FD-M985-E and the FD-M985-E2 ?
    If they are the same , why the M985 E is for 40-44T and the E2 is for 38T-40T ?
  • eimart
    Scott Support told me that i need a "Shimano XTR M985 E2-type 2x10" .
    , directly mounted on the frame.

Thanks all,
    Problem solved