dented rim

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited April 2013 in Workshop
after a fairly nasty crash last month - tried to take a corner too fast downhill, 35mph, forced wide, hit curb, bounced into steel armco and came to rest on the other side - I was truing my front wheel to stop it rubbing when applying the brakes, managed a reasonable job of straightening the slight kink but I've now noticed ive dented the rim where i hit the curb or armco, maybe 2mm dent - side pressed in a bit over 2-3cm length, so it knock on the brake pads with brakes 2/3 applied. Is this fixable? Is it just irritation factor - should I:
1. scrap the rim, buy a new wheel
2. get it fixed and if so, is it something i can try myself ?
3. leave it alone and learn to live with it?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    No, it's not fixable... depending on what wheels you have, you might replace the rim, or bin the wheel... what wheel is it?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    its the entry-level alex race aero28 that comes as standard on my Scott S30, and seems to be quite criticised in the forum!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Sounds like a good excuse for new shiny stuff.

Glad you're Ok and riding - sounds a scary off.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Can be re-rimmed, but it's probably not worth to bother as it is usually paired with shocking hubs...

Paolo
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    New wheel or a pair of shiney new wheels if a paired spoked wheel particulaly if it a paired spoke rim.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.