It's my right of way!

Bozman
Bozman Posts: 2,518
edited April 2013 in Road general
Do be precise - "it's my right of way you f****** i****".
For once I was the one in the car approaching a small island, all exits clearly visible, I could see a cyclist approaching my first left and the bloke just carried on to the island without stopping, I braked, he swerved and gave me a mouthful of abuse saying that it was his right of way.
I didn't know whether to laugh or go after the bloke, it was almost comic strip, I'm just glad that I had my eyes on the road.

It probably happens to dozens of folk during the day but it was my first bit of abuse from a cyclist, if you're an arse your an arse whatever your mode of transport.

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Bozman wrote:
    if you're an ars* your an ars* whatever your mode of transport.
    So true.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • yeah true.
  • Agreed
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    I've done this before, but in a car. A massive lapse in concentration pulling out on someone coming from the right and then for 10 seconds after the (near) incident convinced I had the right of way before realising I was being stupid and then felt bad. :roll: The cyclist in question probably realised the same thing afterward. :lol:
  • I would agree but I've no idea what you;re talking about. Was kind of island was this. Were you in a boat?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I would agree but I've no idea what you;re talking about. Was kind of island was this. Were you in a boat?
    Roundabout
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Bozman wrote:
    Do be precise - "it's my right of way you f****** i****".
    For once I was the one in the car approaching a small island, all exits clearly visible, I could see a cyclist approaching my first left and the bloke just carried on to the island without stopping, I braked, he swerved and gave me a mouthful of abuse saying that it was his right of way.
    I didn't know whether to laugh or go after the bloke, it was almost comic strip, I'm just glad that I had my eyes on the road.

It probably happens to dozens of folk during the day but it was my first bit of abuse from a cyclist, if you're an ars* your an ars* whatever your mode of transport.

I've had the same thing but I was on the bike. On a regular route I ride, the road passes over the M65 and its a fairly steep climb. For some unknown reason, at the steepest point there is an island that takes the road down to one lane. Priority given to the traffic going uphill (me), the amount of time people see a bike and think fuck it (causing me to stop) is a joke. Now I just use the BR mantra of MTFU and dont stop, the amount of abuse I get is biblical. Feels great :lol:
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    You should try driving around Cambridge. I've had cyclists ride through red lights and turn left as I was coming from the opposite direction turning right on a green.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    stueyboy wrote:
    You should try driving around Cambridge. I've had cyclists ride through red lights and turn left as I was coming from the opposite direction turning right on a green.

Must be a varsity thing. Oxford is the same.

D!cks.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Sure he wasn't in a feeder lane? Or maybe he was chasing a segment.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,292
    No such thing as 'right of way'.
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    Jon_1976 wrote:
    I've had the same thing but I was on the bike. On a regular route I ride, the road passes over the M65 and its a fairly steep climb. For some unknown reason, at the steepest point there is an island that takes the road down to one lane. Priority given to the traffic going uphill (me), the amount of time people see a bike and think fark it (causing me to stop) is a joke. Now I just use the BR mantra of MTFU and dont stop, the amount of abuse I get is biblical. Feels great :lol:

tockholes by any chance? if so it happens to me most times there and also back down the road. people see cyclist and think "im in a car... tough"
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    backo wrote:
    Jon_1976 wrote:
    I've had the same thing but I was on the bike. On a regular route I ride, the road passes over the M65 and its a fairly steep climb. For some unknown reason, at the steepest point there is an island that takes the road down to one lane. Priority given to the traffic going uphill (me), the amount of time people see a bike and think fark it (causing me to stop) is a joke. Now I just use the BR mantra of MTFU and dont stop, the amount of abuse I get is biblical. Feels great :lol:

tockholes by any chance? if so it happens to me most times there and also back down the road. people see cyclist and think "im in a car... tough"

Yepp, couple of roads in Glos that have the same 'priority' single lane created by overeager council traffic planners. I have found that 'priority over oncoming traffic' has "(but not if you are on a bike)" written somewhere that I cannot see. I used to try and ride through anyway but nearly got taken out by a bin lorry (full of abusive binmen) and learnt the folly of my ways (no point being right and dead).
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    the councils around here do that too but include a cycle lane at the side........ which delivers you neatly into the path of any vehicle negotiating the island. So, you don't use them because it is suicidal, which then enrages the drivers "Get in the cycle lane!!!" etc etc.
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    diy wrote:
    Sure he wasn't in a feeder lane? Or maybe he was chasing a segment.

Pretty sure she should have stopped. I've worked there for 10 years. It gets even worse round there in the Summer when the regular students go home and are replaced by the English language students. Stop in a roundabout to consult a map? No problem.....
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    "Right of way" is a term used by people with red socks when in disagreement with firearm-toting swedecrunchers who own the ground under said red socks.

It is not usually applicable while the ground has a tarmac surface.

What you speak of is 'implied priority' and that's a subjective thing, as you've just found out.

Personally, I think the Indians have it all figured out, with the 'might is right' rule. :D
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    (no point being right and dead).

True. I used to teach motorbike riders. Always pointed out right and wrong were irrelevant, on a bike you are the one that gets hurt. I also defined defensive riding as not so much not causing an accident as not getting involved in someone else's accident.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    backo wrote:
    Jon_1976 wrote:

Aye, Tockholes. They do have that attitude. I just dont stop now, I'm obeying the law and ,fortunately, common sense seems to prevail with them braking at the last minute. Cue abuse, the old road tax what not, etc. I just give them a big grin and continue. When I first started cycling, I was approaching one of the many traffic islands and was forced to stop suddenly due to some tit not giving way and I ended up falling over clipped in :D