Fast downhill, then front caliper came off...scary.

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
On a ride today was coming downhill section at 30+mph then see something flying at my face before swinging down into my garmin.After the initial fright I realised it was my front brake set up still attached to the brake cable which had swung it over my handle bars.Luckily didn,t need to brake to and let the bike roll on to slow down,then took it easy the last 10mile to the bike shop.
Turns out the through fork bolt had broke.
The moral of the story is pre bike check maybe would have showed something wrong.Maybe not,but ill be doing a proper one before each ride now. :roll:
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    On your Giant or the halford jobby?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    goonz wrote:
    On your Giant or the halford jobby?

Just beat me to it, I was about to ask the same thing.

Interested to know how you're getting along with new bike, elderone?
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Oh and glad you are ok....
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Fil6914
    Fil6914 Posts: 74
    Yeah I would like to know too as I have bought the virtuoso only 3 weeks ago and maybe it's something I need to look out for.
    Glad you managed to end the ride safely

Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
    MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997
  • elderone
    ha ha,it was the halfords jobby,but I don,t blame the bike at all.was just a fatiqued bolt.Also the brakes arn,t the standard ones so infact wasn,t any thing to do do with the halfords bike at all.(so don,t worry phil).
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    And how are you getting on with the Giant?
    I have a Defy Comp 1 and love it to bits.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Whoa, glad you got out of that ok :shock:

What's the state of play with the Defy? And where are the feckin photos of it?? :D
  • elderone
    I have only had the defy out a couple of times and its superb.Im with you city boy,love it.The difference between the bikes is very notice able and how light the defy is,is definately noticed on hills.Im very happy with it so far.
    Canny lad I will do pics tomorrow and post up.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Ha ha a mate of mine did the same thing - loose caliper screw, caliper whacked him squarely on the forehead. He had an amusing bruise in the middle of his head for a few days.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I forgot to close my front brake after fixing a puncture a few weeks ago. No front brake coming down a hill is scary, but at least my caliper was still attached to the bike....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I forgot to close my front brake after fixing a puncture a few weeks ago. No front brake coming down a hill is scary, but at least my caliper was still attached to the bike....

There's an advantage you get with Campag there. Opening the brake on Campag brakes lets the levers further away from the bars but once you've taken up the slack, the braking action is just the same as with them closed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    I've rode around with the brake quick release open (shimano style) and only noticed when I got home. Braking power isn't massively decreased. Agree with Rolf, the Campag system is more logical.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    You got away with that.

Friend had that happen but instead of coming to rest on the handlebars, it dropped back down into the front wheel, destroying said wheel to standstill and ejecting said friend over the handlebars and 'thankfully' onto the relatively soft bonnet of the car waiting to pull out of the junction he was passing.
  • elderone
    blimey,looks like I had a lucky escape.