Bottom bracket question

discurio
discurio Posts: 118
edited April 2013 in The workshop
Hi all,

I had been having a creaking noise coming from the left hand crank area, i assumed it was the pedal as i had one destroy itself a few years ago with similar sound when i pedaled.

Changed the pedals and the noise continued. So decided it was the bottom bracket making the noise. I have a FSA gossamer chainset and stupidly thought that i could just fit a 105 BB (which i now have as a spare :roll: ) and it would be compatible. That will teach me for not checking.

So I'm stuck on my day off at home with a bike in bits i need to fix. When i looked at the threads for the original BB they are quite dirty and covered in fuzz. Took to them with a wire brush greased the hell out of them and re-installed them to the bike and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Now after all that my question. When I took the original BB out of the bike there was no spacers or seals of any type on the BB. Whenever i have fitted similar BB's to my mountain bike there was always some spacers between the BB and the frame.
Should i have some there? this would explain the water getting into the threads and causing the problem.
The bike is a Focus Cayo, and the Chainset is a fsa gossamer MegaEXO (I think)

Sorry for the long post. Dont even get me started on the missing BB tool and the tantrum that ensued
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    road bike cranksets dont use any spacers on the External bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    Thanks Nick

legend
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information