When to wear a white mesh base layer?

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Are they supposed to keep you warm or cool?

I recently wore my Craft one under my short sleeve jersey in 17 degrees and was a little too warm in the sun.
I then wore the same in 14 degrees and was too cold riding into a head wind, but fine later on.

Should I go without it in warm conditions?

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    It should be worn in the warm weather. General consensus is the s/less are better...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    tumblr_lsz184n7Vu1r0xrdm.jpg
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    goonz wrote:
    It should be worn in the warm weather. General consensus is the s/less are better...

Yeah, mesh base layers are for hot riding - I think they're mainly for increased comfort, rather than having a sweaty jersey sticking to your back.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Your body cools during evaporation. Having sweat on your body means the water is not evaporating. A mesh base layer pulls the moisture, promoting evaporation. You feel hotter when it is humid as your body struggles to remove the moisture. Defeet has several different base layers for varying levels of heat. Your own personal taste will dictate the need but evaporation is the theory behind it. Also, a base layer will provide some protection for road rash.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    when its bloody hot!
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    goonz wrote:
    General consensus is the s/less are better...
  • goonz
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Your body cools during evaporation. Having sweat on your body means the water is not evaporating. A mesh base layer pulls the moisture, promoting evaporation. You feel hotter when it is humid as your body struggles to remove the moisture. Defeet has several different base layers for varying levels of heat. Your own personal taste will dictate the need but evaporation is the theory behind it. Also, a base layer will provide some protection for road rash.

Defeet looks pretty good, wheres the best place to buy in the UK?
  • Hooch1987
    Hooch1987 Posts: 55
    sigmasport do the defeet lite sleeveless for £20. Just got one myself.
  • goonz
    Whats the sizing like on the defeet? Its American so not too sure?

S is 34-36 in and M 37-39 im about a 37 so will the M be too big?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    you can wear a mesh in warm or cold

in the cold it helps by keeping the next layer from touching your skin, you still need the extra layer(s) and something windproof

the castelli core mesh is good, they're smnetimes on offer at a decent price
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • SpainSte
    SpainSte Posts: 181
    I've got a short sleeved Campag mesh shirt that I wear on every ride.

Obviously living in Spain it doesnt get that cold here, maybe around 9-10 degrees min and this past weekend was over 20. In summer its under my jersey and in winter under my jacket.
    Its great, I wouldnt change it for a standard base layer!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    My new fav thing, makes me look pro init! They are great, picked up 3 craft superlights recently, wiggle were doing a bundle but that offer has passed.

Been wearing them in all weather to be honest and during a hot race the other evening, worked a treat but didn't make me race like a pro.

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/craft-coo ... r-373.html
  • Hooch1987
    Hooch1987 Posts: 55
    I have the defeet in large and i would say medium build but 6'3, they have quite a bit of stretch in them though.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    My OH was just reading this thread over my shoulder. She said..

"A white mesh base layer?????"

Then a withering look...

"You mean a string vest"
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Depends on the person but i'd say it is an extra layer so it's for when it's cold. Here's a blog post about base layers

blog post about base layers including the "string vest" one. I'd say for me that the mesh is better (warm or cold) as it wicks better
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Figure I'll resurrect a thread rather than create a new 1.

Are mesh base layers better with or without sleeves? Or is it just a personal thing?
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    TakeTurns wrote:

Sounds exactly like you're toeing the company line. Sort of, it's what Defeet says so it must be right.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    "You mean a string vest"
    Exactly what I was thinking too :mrgreen: Triumph of marketing. There's a lot of that around cycling I've noticed.
  • goonz
    Guanajuato wrote:
    "You mean a string vest"
    Exactly what I was thinking too :mrgreen: Triumph of marketing. There's a lot of that around cycling I've noticed.

Yeah how about the massive fuss they all make with flatlock stitching??? Anyone ever noticed all your underpants are all flatlock stitched but they don't go making it known to anyone that will listen... :roll:
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    I picked up a btwin sleeveless mesh baselayer from decathlon the other week for £10 fit isn't sknin tight and it has minimal stretch but for the price I can't complain.
    Insert witty signature here