Going for the big 100 miles Sunday failed

dannyharris
dannyharris Posts: 217
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Need some food advise please all!

Going from Sheffield to Lincoln and back on Sunday. Should be about 100 mile.
Can anyone suggest what food to eat the night before?

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Pasta and protein. Lots of it. Carb load.

Make sure you take enough food with you or if you are stopping to eat a decent meal in your break.

I did 85 on Sunday gone and the first 50 were fine but in the break I only had a biscuit and coffee and a bar on the way and I was definitely beginning to flag.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    The days before are important, not just the night before. Good mix of protein and carbs is the way to go - pasta and meatballs are a favourite of mine. It's a personal thing, but I wouldn't recommend stuffing yourself - have a good meal but don't eat so much you feel like a whale.

Morning important too - I favour a bowl of porridge a couple of hours before, followed by a bagel with peanut butter and jam an hour before.
    Insert bike here:
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Eat properly all the time is more important than carb loading.
    proper meals. Balance of carbs, protein and fat.
    Porage is good every day, not just on the morning of your ride.
    Try to eat some proper food on the way round. Some good cafes im Lincoln and on the way there and back, depending on your route
    Banana, a flapjack, jam sandwich and a few fig rolls in back pocket
    jc
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Oh and good luck!

Are you doing it on your own or in a group?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'd concentrate on eating quality food all week, no junk, nothing too fatty or salty. As for the ride itself, some kind of energy bar / banana every hour would be my requirement, throw in something for a different texture every now and again.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Take more food and liquids than neceassy, there is nothing worse than bonking at 60 miles and riding 40miles with nothing in the tank.
  • What NITR8s said. Make sure you're well hydrated throughout the day before and have a good breakfast on the day too. Best of luck.
  • dannyharris
    Thanks guys. Been a great help.

Will be going at it solo be setting off as soon as its light to avoid traffic.
    Knowing me I will take a wrong turn and get lost so should hit the target mileage!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I did an 86 mile sportive a couple of weeks ago. (should've been 73 but I missed a left turn sign :oops: ) Massive bowl of porridge for breakfast, then I got round on the best part of a packet of fig rolls (= energy bars) and a packet of jelly babies (= gels). Felt fine when I'd finished. Which was a good job since it was my turn to do the 3 mile afternoon dog walk.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have read all the science on carb loading and reckon that it may well be right...but my best rides (according to Strava) have been on the day after having a big fat curry and as much IPA as I can drink. Mind you, I guess nan bread and pilau rice count, as does the odd cake (or two) earlier in day (I like 'carb day', usually my favourite day of the week).

Good luck with your ride, weather looks ok but a tad chilly first thing. Don't overlook decent and timely recovery food, btw.
  • dannyharris
    Well tried meatballs and pasta night before. Good bowl of porridge with chopped up banana 2 pints of water before setting off. Got just over half way and started to feel the pain. Absolutely gutted only a few miles short too.
    https://t.co/uhgsB28Fxe
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    edited April 2013
    I wouldn't worry, if you can do 94 miles you can do 100. Just got to come back on a day you're feeling strong and it will feel easy peasy.
  • dannyharris
    Yea I guess so. Commuting 5 days a week probably don't help either.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Still a very good ride at a very respectable pace. It's a well done from me.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    City Boy wrote:
    Still a very good ride at a very respectable pace. It's a well done from me.

+1
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    looks pretty good to me, i can't make that average on half the distance so id be well chuffed
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    150km with less 800m of elevation, that's flat! I envy you, sick of hills..
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Unlucky on your target but a cracking ride and a very average.Well done.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • dannyharris
    gaddster wrote:
    150km with less 800m of elevation, that's flat! I envy you, sick of hills..

I chose Lincoln for that reason. Now if I turned left outside my house I would have been in the Peak District.

Not a bad ride I guess. Last time averaged just shy of 17 mph over 92 miles.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Yes they are good hills there! Were you absolutely empty at 94m then? I'm surprised you stopped so close.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    94 miles at that speed. Shouldn't the post be in road general. That aint no beginner. I bonked on 45 mile route today at that speed with a group, crawled the last 5 miles, then the blinkin kids insisted we go out round the woods on bikes this avo. The pain!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    All that way to Lincoln and you didn't even go and sit near the Cathedral for a few minutes! Well worth it.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    +1 - definitely!
  • dannyharris
    I think I was mentaly not coping with it. Once the headwind kicked in on route home I started to feel deflated.

Didn't help my strava didn't record a section properly. Though I had about 16 mile to hit finish. Wasn't till I uploaded I seen how close I was.

Bonked at 50 miles before sucks doesn't it fatsmoker.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    So close!!!! But you know you can do it now for sure. 6 miles is nothing. Coincidentally you went past the cafe in Blyth that was my turn around point for my first 100 last Sunday!

Good luck for next time :)

[edit] they are very expensive, but i sometimes like to have a couple of caffeine gels with me for when I completely die. By "sometimes" I mean when I can face the ridiculous amount they cost!!