Where to get a new steel hardtail frame?

blackice
blackice Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a cheap but new steel hardtail frame for a forthcoming project. Based in UK.....any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    To use for what?
    And any particular reason why it has to be steel?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Best place is a cheap steel bike frame shop.......

Any reason it has to be new?

On-one are about the cheapest worth buying.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    On-one - lots of choices in steel.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    depends what you want to do with it.

my next build will be a cotic bfe, but cheaper and different options are available.
  • blackice
    blackice Posts: 6
    I'm building an electric powered mtb and need a steel frame so I can weld some components to it. Ideally looking for something really cheap as it's going to weigh a tonne anyway!

Thanks.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    On one Inbred frame, they already weigh a ton and are made from 2nd hand gas pipe so should be easy to weld without burning a hole in the tubes. They look good though and ride well I love mine.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends whether it's an electric MTB for actual MTB type riding, which sounds sh1t anyway, or an electric bike for commuting type riding - if so just buy some random POS off Ebay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your going to be welding to it, starting with a new frame makes no sense at all.....ebay or classifieds.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.