Fitting my SLX shifters to my SLX lever

McNips
McNips Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi y'all,
I have a little technical issue i wonder if any of you can help me with.

I recently bought a Norco Sight 2 (and very happy about it too), but had a little fight with a bus, who took off my right brake lever (not so happy about). I have since bought a new SLX lever and upon trying to attach my shifters to the underside, i realise that i have not got the little nut and bolt to screw it in. I have since visited a few shops, websites and made some phonecalls. I am told that Shimano do not distribute it to the UK and i have realised it is damn near impossible to come across. My gears work fine, i just need to attach them and i am not really up for spending the money to buy a new shifter just for a little nut and bolt that costs next to nothing to make.

Here is the diagram of what i am looking for http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/SL/EV-SL-M670-B-I-3591_v1_m56577569830820623.pdf

7 - Y6UV98090 - Bolt & Nut unit

Any one got any advice on where to find it or any alternatives than giving shimano a load of money to fix something that is not actually broken?

Thanks in advance
Mark

p.s. i have booked 6 days off work for riding sessions, starting tomorrow. Any quick temporary solutions also welcome. So far i have got as far as taking the bolt from my left shifter and putting it on my right, as i use this a hell of a lot more. Then cable tieing my left shifter to my bars to make it almost usable, but more importantly out of way and secure.

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Would a normal nut and bolt and cut to length fit.

Google the part number or ebay search and you might find a seller.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • McNips
    Yeah, tried this.
    It is just awkward, i will probably have a little look at a DIY shop, take my bike in and see if they have anything that could be adapted. I can not find the official shimano part anywhere. One guy in a shop spoke to someone on the phone who said i need a new shifter. This seems like utter madness to me.

Thanks for the reply though, i will take a look at general nuts and bolts. I just need something to fit in the small keyhole like hole, slot into place and then able to screw through the provided whole on my shifters and into the thread that has been locked into place on the lever.

NIGHTMARE!

Though to be far, if i was hit by a bus and the only thing i am worrying about is a little nut and bolt then it surely isnt all bad. Just frustrating
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Go to a proper bike shop and ask to speak to a mechanic they usually have a bits box where they throw any spare bolts, nuts, washers springs and the like you might find something that will fit.

What area do you live someone might be able to help if they are local.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • McNips
    Live in the ass end of england. Plymouth. I have been to a couple of shops. Though i plan to visit a couple more independant stores in the area tomorrow, on the hope that as you say, they have bits and bobs box. Lets hope :-)
  • JokerZero
    JokerZero Posts: 18
    Got the same problem, had slx shifters off my Scott replaced with XT. Noted then that the XT shifters did not come with the mounting bolt. Not a problem. Then bought another set of slx brakes for another build, intending to use the shifters. No mounting bolts with the brakes either.... Did you find a solution?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Shifters do cmoe with the bolts. You were sold duffs, send them back! Do you need just the bolt or the mounts too? iSpec a or B shifters and levers?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Take the left bolt with you and visit some hardware shops and find something similar ?
  • chuase05
    chuase05 Posts: 23
    Ill have a look in my tool box at work tomorrow when i get to work. I know you can get them on thier own ive ordered them for customers before they are about £8
    Dmr Transition 26"
    Giant Anthem 27.5 SX
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
    Cannondale Chase
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Ive just had a look on Madison's b2b website and they have the part listed but it's not in stock unfortunately until the 10/09/2014. As it's on their site, it is definitely obtainable in the UK, just not at this moment in time!

Madison_zps770e8f7a.jpg
  • MASansom
    MASansom Posts: 1
    In Plymouth I would recommend EXPRESS FIXINGS 19 Holborn St, PL4 0NN.

They are likely to have the correct fitting!

Alternatively for a localish bike shop RockInn bikes in Yelverton are really good!