Broken tooth

xloly
xloly Posts: 140
edited April 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

Firstly I've read about broken chainring teeth but am pretty sure this is screwed.

The chain, rings and cassette were all replaced about 12 months ago and since then the bike has done about 300 miles.

What could have caused it? I'll be taking it back to the shop tomorrow and asking them to replace it - will they be able to just replace the big ring?

Pic here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_ySdEe ... sp=sharing

Comments

• andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    It would be possible to just replace the chainring. However chainrings are usually expensive so unless it's a reasonably expensive chainset a new chainset may make more sense.

The good news though, as far as I can tell, is that it's not a broken tooth. The chainring teeth are not all identical, some are shortened or otherwise made a slightly different shape, to assist in shifting. The middle tooth in that pic looks to be intended to be that shape.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Definitely not broken. It's the one next to the lifting pin (and those scalloped out bits) and is all there to help shifting as andyk19 suggests.
  • xloly
    xloly Posts: 140
    Hmm, ok. I'll get it to the shop tomorrow - something is not right as the chain feels like its slipping?