front brake maxed out with wide rim?

chrisvanderkaap
chrisvanderkaap Posts: 323
edited April 2013 in Workshop
hey guys, quick question!

With my old wheels no problem I noticed my front (dual pivot) Shimano 105 brake maxed out when I put in my new (23 m wide) H+son Archetypes. No big deal you may say, but It's easy notice the loss of leverage (and modulation) because it seems to pull on the end of its stoke.

Any of you got experience with these modern wide rims? Maybe some of you came across a similar problem, one that perhaps came with a handy solution!?

I'll ask the tech master today in our shop tomorrow too.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Comments

• I had to reset the brakes with my h+son archetypes. Loosen the Allen bolt holding the brake cable in place, with your hand push the brake pads on either side to within 2mm of the braking surface, pull the cable so you can feel tension then retighten the Allen bolt. Job done!
  • yeah I know, that's the first thing I did. My pads are clearing the rim like they would normally (even though I had to take out the toe-in washer to do so!). It's just that, with my brake being on its outer limits it feels like it has lost its power and most of its modulation.

What to do?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    yeah I know, that's the first thing I did. My pads are clearing the rim like they would normally (even though I had to take out the toe-in washer to do so!). It's just that, with my brake being on its outer limits it feels like it has lost its power and most of its modulation.

What to do?

You need to undo the cable and release a bit of tension there, then you can adjust with the barrel. It is impossible to max out a calliper with a 23 mm rim
    left the forum March 2023
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    I have used Ultegra calipers with Zipp 303 which are 27mm wide, 23mm should be no problem
  • Had to buy new calipers *old ones were developing a little play with might have been an alternative source of the problem!* and went for sram force. It turned out fine in the end.

@itsnotarace: got some nice wheels too ;)