New brake blocks

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hey there, I need some new cartridge type brake blocks as old ones wearing out - baffling choice out there, need something all weather that fits my C'dale C4 brakes, am a big bloke hilly rides, not massive miles.

Thanks in advance

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• paul1275s
    paul1275s Posts: 27
    Went down local bike shop, said 'can i have some brake blocks?' He gave me some brake blocks for a tenner, I fitted them, bike stops. Simples.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    paul1275s wrote:
    Went down local bike shop, said 'can i have some brake blocks?' He gave me some brake blocks for a tenner, I fitted them, bike stops. Simples.

Marvellous, thanks for taking the time to help me.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • As Buckie2k5 states, you can get pads to fit existing holders, or you can get pads & holders together (may be up to 2x the price in some cases ).

I bought a set of Swisstop Greens ( 4 for ~£20 ) and much happier with the stopping power and less dust/crap on the wheels.

Pads come with basic instructions .
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • As Buckie2k5 states, you can get pads to fit existing holders, or you can get pads & holders together (may be up to 2x the price in some cases ).

I bought a set of Swisstop Greens ( 4 for ~£20 ) and much happier with the stopping power and less dust/crap on the wheels.

Pads come with basic instructions .

I bought some of these recently as well, made a difference to my braking power, very pleased with the Swisstop Greens
  • leepez
    leepez Posts: 33
    Buckie2k5 wrote:

I bought these as a replacement for my Shimano blocks and found that they had much better stopping power but they are a lot wider than the Shimano blocks and you have to be careful when aligning them to the wheel rim, due to the extra width.

I'll be opting for something different next time.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    SwissStop BXP gets my vote. Superb power and feel when using them with SRAM Force calipers. Going to get some for my Campag equipped bike also.
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Totally agree with the above, BXPs are even in better than the "greens" IME - worth every penny.
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • paul1275s wrote:
    :roll: :shock: :roll:

On my club ride last Sunday we needed to stop very quickly on a fast downhill. My Swisstop greens were spot on. I have been really impressed with them although I may give the BXP a go when they need changing.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Swisstop Greens. £20something for 4. Winner IMO
    Cube Acid 2011 MTB
    Boardman Road Team....... yes i have had the BB re-greased :-)