Welsh RR champs 2013

bianchiboy
bianchiboy Posts: 13
edited May 2013 in Amateur race
Anybody know what is going on with the Welsh champs? All the other regionals are taking place on the 19th of May, but I can't find any details for the Welsh champs. Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Still in need of a promoting club, I believe...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Yep, it seems to get left to one of the same two or three clubs every year. About time some others took their turn. My club has done it two of the last three years. Same old story, everyone wants to race (my own race in July is already full!) but no-one is prepared to organise. Have a look at the calendar and it's the same few road races organised by the same people from the same clubs every season. Ironic considering we have good roads for racing, excellent support from the NEG with their CSAS powers and host the country's longest amateur stage race and top junior stage race.
  • Pross
    And it's on! Ridiculous that Welsh Cycling have had to put it on themselves as no club came forward, some clubs in Wales need to take a good hard look at themselves and start pulling their weight. Well done to Liz Slater who seems to give every spare minute to the sport and to Cadence RT who already stage two big events including the Ras.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/wales/article/20130518-welsh-cycling-news-New-date-announced-for-Welsh-Men-s-Road-Race-Championship-0
  • imposter2.0
    Pross wrote:
    And it's on! Ridiculous that Welsh Cycling have had to put it on themselves as no club came forward, some clubs in Wales need to take a good hard look at themselves and start pulling their weight.

Agreed - or alternatively, the clubs that do promote need to start doing something similar to the entry criteria that you ran.. ;)
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Pross wrote:
    And it's on! Ridiculous that Welsh Cycling have had to put it on themselves as no club came forward, some clubs in Wales need to take a good hard look at themselves and start pulling their weight. Well done to Liz Slater who seems to give every spare minute to the sport and to Cadence RT who already stage two big events including the Ras.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/wales/article/20130518-welsh-cycling-news-New-date-announced-for-Welsh-Men-s-Road-Race-Championship-0

It could also be said that the WCU brought it upon themselves . Theres some good eggs in that basket but if they dont stop bickering with themselves it wont be long before they are no more. Should never have become a company with limited liability . At least when it was an association of member clubs ,the member clubs that they rely on to promote had some influence over the system . Sorry Pross ,i have no time for the WCU ,in my opinion the vast majority of them are in it for themselves. not the good of the sport.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Pross
    They were certainly a laughing stock at board level for the last couple of years but seem to have sorted themselves out and there are some excellent people in there who do a load of work at grassroots level.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    sub55 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

It could also be said that the WCU brought it upon themselves . Theres some good eggs in that basket but if they dont stop bickering with themselves it wont be long before they are no more. Should never have become a company with limited liability . At least when it was an association of member clubs ,the member clubs that they rely on to promote had some influence over the system . Sorry Pross ,i have no time for the WCU ,in my opinion the vast majority of them are in it for themselves. not the good of the sport.
    +1 no time for wcu at all.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    sub55 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Well you may have no time for the WCU but as we found in the s/w, no club came fwd to organise the reg champs this year and it was left to one individual, within the s/w s equivalent of the wcu, the SW road race work group (swrrwg) - to do it all.
    Even on the day, despite appeals for marshalls, no stepped fwd (it was too important that they had some one to hand up a bottle instead) and the race was almost abandoned, so line judges had to step in, this meant that come the finish, we were short of them.... imo alot of riders dont deserve to have any races put on for them, they put zero back into the sport and seem to expect that because they ve paid a pitance to race, they then demand a service that £16 or £20 just does not buy them.

If regional organisations just get slagged off, then no one will want to step fwd to make things better, i know that being involved at a regional level has been a real eye opener, the biggest surprise being how little BC - financially - put back into the region :( and how soooooo very much relies on just a few individuals, many of whom arnt getting any younger !
    I would like to see a massive increase in race entry fees, to buy equipment, pay decent expenses and perhaps even provide cheap loan bikes for youths - but again, riders would rather spend £60 on a tub then £25 to enter a race.
  • Pross
    sub55 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Could that be something to do with who you ride for though?
  • imposter2.0
    Are you suggesting some sponsor-related bias ?? ;)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    mamba80 wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Well you may have no time for the WCU but as we found in the s/w, no club came fwd to organise the reg champs this year and it was left to one individual, within the s/w s equivalent of the wcu, the SW road race work group (swrrwg) - to do it all.
    Even on the day, despite appeals for marshalls, no stepped fwd (it was too important that they had some one to hand up a bottle instead) and the race was almost abandoned, so line judges had to step in, this meant that come the finish, we were short of them.... imo alot of riders dont deserve to have any races put on for them, they put zero back into the sport and seem to expect that because they ve paid a pitance to race, they then demand a service that £16 or £20 just does not buy them.

If regional organisations just get slagged off, then no one will want to step fwd to make things better, i know that being involved at a regional level has been a real eye opener, the biggest surprise being how little BC - financially - put back into the region :( and how soooooo very much relies on just a few individuals, many of whom arnt getting any younger !
    I would like to see a massive increase in race entry fees, to buy equipment, pay decent expenses and perhaps even provide cheap loan bikes for youths - but again, riders would rather spend £60 on a tub then £25 to enter a race.
    My comment was nothing to do about the race or what you say, just my opinion based on last years fiasco and how poorly run they are with certain individuals having individual agendas without the desire to run it professionally and legally in some examples.
    There are good people around willing to do good things, unfortunately some were "got rid of". Hopefully WCU will get sorted after the meeting held late last year.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    mamba80 wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

if thats aimed at me ,i'm more than content with the amount of voluntary work i put in to the sport. Dont assume that those you're talking too dont sit on national committees trying to do whats right.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly