Rigid forks and suspension wheels anyone?

97th choice
97th choice Posts: 2,222
edited April 2013 in MTB general
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120 ... le-bicycle

20" at the moment but 26" in development.........
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just not enough supported rim for me - can't see it being good for MTB wheels except maybe for commuting bikes and the like.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    As well as the obvious problem of lateral movement, surely (unavoidable) "sag" in the system is going to result in the hub sitting below the centre of the wheel, resulting in you effectively having to ride "uphill" all the time? got to be really, really inefficient?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Keep up - where it belongs.
    viewtopic.php?f=10007&t=12918154
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Didnt some Victorian bloke invent a suspension wheel system. Think it might have been called a pneumatic tyre or something dont know if it will ever catch on though.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Frankly I can't see it being better at providing suspension than that provided by my own legs. But I do have a soft spot for crazy British inventiveness.

Orange should spec it on their bikes....
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On a 20" folder it makes a degree of sense (if it works) or as SS says on a 26" commuter, and I guess there may be an argument for the rear of an HT, but for replacing front suspension, no, suspension movement will be small, probably only 10mm.

Clearly won't be like iding uphill all the time, J78 should read up on hysterisis.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    suspension movement will be an arbitrary figure i just pulled out of my rectum

if you read the article it tells you.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They may be able to defelcet by 45mm at 'a force' in real world, due to the need for preload with minimal sag I doubt very much you'd get close to it, if it did you would need to change the bike design to stop the tyre rubbing
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    oh so it must be 10mm then. thanks for the clarification.