S-Works SL4 Tarmac Black satin.

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited September 2013 in Your road bikes
My new bike. S-Works Satin black 56cm SL4 Tarmac. I came very close to buying a Venge in a 54cm but after a few test rides, I concluded that the Tarmac is still the better bike for where I live and ride and my stupid long body.
It is a fairly pedestrian build in comparison to previous bikes but I have had a bit of a change up with my riding and outlook.

I sold my Tarmac last year after a bad year. Ill health, down time and other stuff like moving house. However, I have spent Sept 2012 to present day riding a single speed Langster (48x16) and moved 15 miles away from work which means I am now averaging 30 miles a day commuting which in turn has had a big effect on my riding. What riding the alloy, one gear track bike has done has changed my outlook on spec and price and also made me a much stronger rider within the realms of my skill-set.

Anyway, enough waffle. Don't let the chat fool you. I am still sh*t, just a little less sh*t. :mrgreen:

Spec is 56cm Tarmac, Roval Rapide SL35 wheels, 24mm turbos, Romin Evo 155, 110mm stem, 44cm bars, 12/25 cassette, 170mm compact cranks, Thomson inline for short legs long body. Ultegra Glossy grey 2012.

Lovely bike. The 1/2 a degree seat tube difference from my Langster makes it feel like a Roubaix at the moment and will drop the stem by another 10mm but only built it yesterday and bedding it in.

8677366701_be317f37bd.jpg

8678470886_894f53d512.jpg

Comments

• vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Nice bike. How you finding the wheels?
  • bristolpete
    vespario wrote:
    Nice bike. How you finding the wheels?

Thanks. Very understated almost dull but rides well. :mrgreen:

Re: wheels. For the £ actually very good. Offered them up to a set of Dura Ace C35 and not dissimilar for a third of the price (Though I happily accept Spinal Tap style that Dura Ace are simply just better). Stiff fast and weight wise more than acceptable to a non climber. They roll well and I think after a nice 500 miles the hubs will free up and spin a treat.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Looks awesome! I bet it's rather fast :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • bristolpete
    declan1 wrote:
    Looks awesome! I bet it's rather fast :D

Thanks. It goes really well. Nice having gears again though. Can push the speeds now and rather than spin up like a keystone cop pedaling like a mentalist descending, can actually hit some nice fast speeds.
  • nice to see you back on a tarmac Pete, looks great, very clean
  • bristolpete
    nice to see you back on a tarmac Pete, looks great, very clean

Thanks. They are as they say in pro cycling 'the best bike I have ever ridden'. Heck it is much better than I am a rider, but this little beauty has been flawless through the winter. I had some decent 32 spoke hand-built wheels made and it has set me up lovely for 2013.

8631739736_0fdd2e0b8f.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Great pictures...
  • camratman
    camratman Posts: 11
    That bike is gert lush.

Tarmac's are the best all round road bikes in my humble opinion. I too have ridden the Venge and thought little of it. My other bike is a Roubaix Expert SL2. I love Specialized, I am a fan boy as they say.

Stealth black all the way. :D

Thats right 8)
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Just out of interest, what was the reason why you went for the SL4 instead of the Venge?
  • bristolpete
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Just out of interest, what was the reason why you went for the SL4 instead of the Venge?

I personally preferred the way the Tarmac rides at slower speeds on rolling roads of which there are plenty in the South West. The Tarmac is lively from 13-18mph and can get up to speed well. I have no doubt the Venge is fast at north of 18mph but I felt it a little flat at slower speeds. Also the Venge needs deep section and cash flow and needs/wants dictate that not for me at the moment. Anyway, ideally I would have both, and a Roubaix, but hey ho, such is life.

That said, if I lived in Florida or Norfolk I would have chosen the Venge. :mrgreen:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    don't move to Norfolk for that...
  • bristolpete
    RideOnTime wrote:
    don't move to Norfolk for that...

Tried to get in once. Passport control told me it was shut for the weekend so I went home and rode up some hills. :lol:
  • Sorry for bumping an old thread. I usually try to avoid it because it can be a bit annoying, but in this case I had a specific question for the OP that may also be interesting for others.

I have been looking around for a new set of wheels and always liked the Roval Rapide SL35, but can hardly find any information about them other than what Specialized has published. I was really curious how these wheels have faired on the long term.
  • Kubotai wrote:
    Sorry for bumping an old thread. I usually try to avoid it because it can be a bit annoying, but in this case I had a specific question for the OP that may also be interesting for others.

I have been looking around for a new set of wheels and always liked the Roval Rapide SL35, but can hardly find any information about them other than what Specialized has published. I was really curious how these wheels have faired on the long term.

I sold the bike lock stock when I lost my job. However, on the whole for the cost the wheels are excellent on flat and descents, but average going up. I liken them to Zipp 101 but loads cheaper.
  • I sold the bike lock stock when I lost my job. However, on the whole for the cost the wheels are excellent on flat and descents, but average going up. I liken them to Zipp 101 but loads cheaper.
    Sorry to hear you had to sell the bike for such a reason.

Thanks for the information. Funny enough I also tend to compare the wheels with Zipp 101 because of the shape of the rim.

I will keep them in mind as I am nearing the end of my contract and could also very well be out of a job in a few months time. But they will be a nice present if I manage to find something new. Good luck to you!