Orthodontists ?

Tom Butcher
Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
Or anyone else got an opinion on this ?

My 11 year old son has a congenitally missing lower incisor. He's seeing the orthodontist (today so probably left this a bit late). The options are to remove the baby tooth and close the gap with the three remaining incisors OR leave a gap which could then be filled with an implant or something when he's an adult (not entirely sure about this option).

The problems are he has smallish teeth and an overbite - so removing a lower tooth is probably going to make correcting the overbite impossible. I'm leaning more towards leaving the gap and getting the rest of his teeth in the correct position - think the ortho is leaning the other way.

Comment ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    First, good luck to your lad, hope it goes well.
    I think you may be a bit optimistic, hoping to get orthodontistry advice on a cycle forum! Have you checked the 'Skills' thread? Plenty of mention of using red diesel, but nothing on teeth. FFS you would do well to get an unanimous opinion on fixing a bike!
    My advice would be to be guided by the experts, unless you have some basis to disagree. Ask them the pros and cons of each approach and make an informed decision. After all they have the years of training and experience, not you,
    I am not advocated blind obedience, but think carefully before you reject professional advice.