Which 29" wheelset?

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Think I have it down to two...

I was all set to go for a Stans Arch on Hope Pro Evo combo

But also looking at the Easton Haven 29" - which I can get for the same price.

Predominantly I will be using these for XC and racing - and I know the Easton's are a bit burly for that, but they are still light so dont think it will be a problem.

Owning a set of EA90's in 26...there is always the question about the hub though. Although I am lead to believe that the 2012 models have the upgradeable hub so that may not even be an issue.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Superstar are doing a good deal on their Pacenti rims on Tesla hubs. Light, quick engaging.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Mccraque
    Thanks Lostboysaint. I enquired about these a couple of weeks back on this site and drew a blank. I am intruiged but have read varying reports as to how easily they go up tubeless.

I run some superstars on my current HT. Although they're not the Teslas...the bearings in the hub were totally siezed after a winter of riding!

Do you have any experience with the Pacentis?
  • I got my Pacenti+Tesla 29er wheelset 2 weeks ago only so can't comment on durability. Front weight is 900gr, rear is 1.05Kg. Converted to tubeless, very easy, using Specialized tyres (Renegade 1.95 rear and Storm Control 2.0 front). Used a quick CO2 shot to inflate to 15psi or so and mini pump to full pressure.
  • Mccraque
    Thanks Paracetamol - which rims did you go for? TL28 or DL31?
  • TL28. Forgot to say that I used Stans valves, sealant and rim tape (the yellow one).
  • Mccraque
    That's great to know. Thanks. Could well be an option. Do you find them to be quite stiff, or flexi?
  • I've been out only twice with these wheels, also I'm more on the XC side of things and don't ride very hard, but I'm 80Kg... haven't noticed flex so far.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If its just for XC and racing and you are of a typical racer's weight I'd go for Crest over an Arch. Its lighter and more than strong enough.

I've currently got a 26" Crest with superstsar hubs, I weight 85kg and it gets used much harder than an average XC course. I've used it many times doing some really rocky routes in the Lake or Peak district they were fine.
  • Mccraque
    I also have crests in 26" but I weigh 90kg and am a little worried about going up a wheelsize in the same rim when I read, like for like (in terms of materials and build) a wheel loses something like 40% of it's strength.

For racing I'd take a risk. But I do hit the odd trail...and can be a far from smooth rider....
  • Mccraque
    bounce...

I think I am settled somewhere between the Crest and the Arch. The bike will be predominantly for racing. Am erring towards the Crests...although the Notubes website has rider weight limit of 190lbs. I am 194 or over 200lbs with kit.

Are they being overly cautious? Or am I likely to fold the rim? Is Arch the way to go?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Depends how hard you ride!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I would say for racing you are fine. I am 90-95kg with kit so on the limit of the 26" Crest but have given them a reasonable battering. Ploughing through rocks in the Peak and Lake district, doing many small to medium drops to flat etc and they have been fine.

If your are still uncertain have a chat with the guys at Just Riding Along. They have good experience with Stans rims and can give you advice.

Also I think the Crest is only a tiny bit weaker than the Arch. For noticeable difference in strength you want to go for the newer Arch EX.
  • Mccraque
    Hard enough to snap my boardman hardtail?
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    I got my Pacenti+Tesla 29er wheelset 2 weeks ago only so can't comment on durability. Front weight is 900gr, rear is 1.05Kg. Converted to tubeless, very easy, using Specialized tyres (Renegade 1.95 rear and Storm Control 2.0 front). Used a quick CO2 shot to inflate to 15psi or so and mini pump to full pressure.
    How are your wheels holding up? I'm considering the Pacenti / tesla combination but am unsure about the hub reliability. Are the weights you quoted measured by you?
    My other choice would be the Arch EX 2er on either Switch / Tesla / Hope hubs or Fulcrum Red Power XL 29er. They all seem to weigh around the same. Anything lighter and the prices start to approach £500+