Puncture-resistant tyres (for Defy 1)

timbo9
timbo9 Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi - am new to bikeradar.com, live in Switzerland and have just taken delivery of a Giant Defy 1 2012 model (size M, triple crankset) in part due to the recommendations on this website. Am in my 40s and this is I've haven't ridden racing bikes for 20+ years although I regularly mountain bike. Had a short run out on the Defy yesterday and first impressions are great. Just wondering if anyone can recommend tyres that might be more puncture-resistant than the standard ones. I live at the base of the Jura mountain range and I will mainly be cycling on (rough) tarmac mountain roads. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Continental GP400s love mine and bomb proof
  • tonybied
    tonybied Posts: 48
    I would just stick with the stock tyres for now. I have had the defy 1 since January and had no p*ncture problems, the stock tyres seem to roll just fine and have been grippy enough even in the wet or sub zero temperatures.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not sure what the stock tyres are but I would also recommend Continental when you do get new ones.

Rough mountain roads sound a bit scary :shock: . If it is only for puncture reasons I would just see what happens with the stock ones.
    If its for performance you will not really know how much better they are until you try them, and if you leave it for ages you might wish you had done it sooner :wink:

Its not exactly wasteful to have a second set of tyres anyway and its a no brainer upgrade IMO.
  • timbo9
    timbo9 Posts: 3
    Many thanks to all for the advice - will stick with the stock tyres for now but look to buy a pair of GP4000s in the summer.
  • gazl
    gazl Posts: 38
    Hi, i run continental grand prix 24mm, excellent tyre with good reviews pretty light & puncture protection. Go to bike-discount.de for an unbelievable price of £12 ea (massive saving on rrp) i am going to buy a few sets
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    If the tyres fitted to the 1 are anything like the ones on my 2, they are quite good. I've only had one puncture which was a flint that worked its way right though. One puncture in 1000 miles I can live with :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    The standard Giant tyres are puncture resistant and cope well with typical British back roads, gravel, potholes etc.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Marathon plus tyres! These are nuclear bomb proof!!