140mm discs

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited April 2013 in MTB general
I recently asked (in this thread) about fitting 140mm discs instead of 160mm at the back: over the weekend I fitted a Shimano front 160mm PM-IS adapter at the back, and replaced my 160mm disc with a 140mm item to try the whole thing out. This is for anyone else who's thought about this . . .

First thing to report - it's very easy to set up.

Second thing - by my scribbled calculations, the smaller disc provides 12.5% less braking torque than a 160mm one. In practise, this means that it needs more of a squeeze to slow down and is quite hard to lock up. It's especially hard to lock up instantly, which was pretty easy with the 160mm. Since the plan is to use it on a bike for a much smaller rider (8-10 years old) this is just what I wanted: it should provide plenty of braking, without wearing the tyres out
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    If I were 8-10 years old and found that my brakes didn't lock when slamming the brakes on, I'd be fixing them so they did. That's one of the great things about being 8-10, you can pull a skid and let your parents worry about the tyres!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    They can be locked, but he now has the option of finesse (thus becoming the first 8-10 year old ever to demonstrate it). The important thing is that there's something between no brakes and locked.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    If I were 8-10 years old and found that my brakes didn't lock when slamming the brakes on, I'd be fixing them so they did. That's one of the great things about being 8-10, you can pull a skid and let your parents worry about the tyres!

Well said!

Skids are for kids and nobody should be taking that fun away...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets