Bike carrier for a Zafira

unquestioned
unquestioned Posts: 172
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Trying to avoid using my Fiat Panda to haul my 2 mates & me & our bikes on a 500 mile round trip through the mountains but seeing as I'm the only one with a decent roof rack that seems to be where it's heading.
My bro in law has a late Zafira though & it's engine is bigger than the hamster wheel in the Panda so looking for advice on a bike carrier.

Low a price as possible without risking the bikes flying off & being eaten by the car behind.
Suggestions?

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You'll get 3 bikes and 3 people inside.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    mcnultycop wrote:

What he said. Far better security for you when you stop at services etc. if the bikes are locked in the car. Far better fuel economy without the wind resistance. And the back of the Zafira is like a cave.

If you have a rear mounted carrier it also makes accessing the boot a PITA.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • PaulBox wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

What he said. Far better security for you when you stop at services etc. if the bikes are locked in the car. Far better fuel economy without the wind resistance. And the back of the Zafira is like a cave.

If you have a rear mounted carrier it also makes accessing the boot a PITA.

It's gonna have to seat 5 people (support team) 3 bikes & biking & hiking kit for a 24 hour event. Tried last year but space was much too short, hence needing a carrier. If it comes to it we will just have to use 2 cars, bang the bikes in the Zafira.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    You're moving the goal posts... first post said 3 people & bikes... ;)

I'd just get a roof carrier for the zafira then, there are loads of deals available on eBay, often with them selling multiple carriers etc. I recently picked up a different set up roof bars (no feet) for mine for £6.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Support team? Can't your sponsors cough up for a private jet?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    "It's gonna have to seat 5 people (support team) 3 bikes & biking & hiking kit for a 24 hour event"

use 2 cars, it'll be more comfortable and more practical, you need space for (camping?) kit, spares, tools, clothes food etc... and those competing will be in better shape at the other end of the journey for having the space
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • edhornby wrote:
    "It's gonna have to seat 5 people (support team) 3 bikes & biking & hiking kit for a 24 hour event"

use 2 cars, it'll be more comfortable and more practical, you need space for (camping?) kit, spares, tools, clothes food etc... and those competing will be in better shape at the other end of the journey for having the space

Cheers for the help peoples, I'll come up with something :)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Does the Zafira have a tow bar? If it does, then a 3 bike tow-bar mounted carrier, preferably one that tilts, is by far the best way to go.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Does the Zafira have a tow bar? If it does, then a 3 bike tow-bar mounted carrier, preferably one that tilts, is by far the best way to go.

Unfortunately not, that was my first thought but turns out it has no bar.