What have I done to my forks ?

ga-rat
ga-rat Posts: 29
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Hi all.

I'm just after a little advice about my forks...

I originally had some Suntour XCR 100mm coil forks that seized up, I did service these myself and they were running smooth, however I ended up buying some used but in very good condition 2007 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3 forks, these forks had been freshly serviced with new oil and seals. :D

I took them out on my local red/blue trails and they bottomed out a couple of times, I adjusted the coil a little but this didn't stiffen them enough so I downloaded the manual and read about positive air and air pressures.

To cut a story short I understood my forks could take up to 62psi, I pumped it straight up to 52psi, this should have been about right for my weight. Took them out and did a day jumping and drop offs, only small ones just to get a feel for the forks. After a few hours I noticed oil coming out of the stanchion seals. :cry: I contacted Marzocchi and they told me the forks only take a max of 16 psi (I still can't make this out from the manual) as this just assists the coil spring... Doh!!! :roll: :(:(:(

Anyway can anyone tell me what has happened inside my fork, is it fixable with a new set of seals? can anyone recommend seals if it is? Having only had the XCR's before I am new to all the adjustment these forks have so I am a little unsure about servicing them. Is there a possibility I wouldn't need new seals? could the extra air pressure have just pushed a seal out somewhere?

Any help would be much appreciated!!! :D

Comments

• ga-rat
    oohh!!

There is a little gap where oil was coming from, it may be a coincidence and I may have damaged to seal on something without noticing, I don't know if to much air could cause this kind of seal damage. :? :? :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks like they have never been serviced and the seals are full or crap.

the seal you see is just a dirt wiper there is a seal under it.

your fork has a spring one side with mechanical preload and has just air on the other side.

get them serviced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ga-rat
    Thanks for your reply, they had been serviced and were immaculate when I bought them.

Is it possible that me putting to much air into the fork has just forced the oil out? Could it have moved the oil seal out of position rather than damaged it?. I've not tried adding any more air though yet as I didn't want to cause more damage, if that's possible. :roll:

I don't want/can't really FORK ( :roll: ) out £70-£90 on a service at the moment... (wifes birthday next week) :?
    I'm not sure I would want to spend that much at all on them really, not sure though, I would probably have to pay at least double that to get new forks that can take the same amount of abuse.

I have been using them still as they are and on the red/blue/light DH routes I ride they only bottom out occasionally. :oops:
  • nicklouse
    1 nope. Like i said what you are looking at is just the dust shield.

2 oil seal is held inplace by a C clip so can not move.

download a 2000 year Maz manual and have a read of the service info in it. (may be 2001) the forks have not changed much.

re the oil some wet on the legs is normal. but Like i have said there is crap in the lip that needs sorting.

read the info in the early manual.

then get the tools out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ga-rat
    Will have a look, thanks for the info. The oil was running down the legs, it was that bad, especially under compression.

I have been in touch with a good local-ish bike shop and they could service the forks, they would charge £20 for the seals and £40 for labour and oil. Doesn't sound to bad... Still tempted to have a go myself though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DIY is easy.....

For oil to be running down the legs it suggests they were overfilled as even with no dust or lower seal at all I wouldn't expect that, most forks only have about 15-20ml (3-4 teaspoons) in there!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    DIY is easy.....

For oil to be running down the legs it suggests they were overfilled as even with no dust or lower seal at all I wouldn't expect that, most forks only have about 15-20ml (3-4 teaspoons) in there!
    and the 2007 DJ3 has a bit more than that in the right leg.

http://www.marzocchi.com/template/conte ... Folder=777

depending on which version 160 - 200ml
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cheers, I did say 'most', that's a lot more than normal and would at least suggest they weren't overfilled!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ga-rat
    DIY is easy.....

I had been using the forks fine, they were working well, it's only the fact that I put 52psi in the fork when the maximum should have been 16-ish psi. I'm sure the air has pushed the oil out and damaged the oil seals in the fork.