I got burnt......

zardoz
zardoz Posts: 251
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
There were times that I didn't think this would happen again in my lifetime, but yesterday I actually got sunburnt out riding. So what are recommendations for sun protection cream for cycling?

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    zardoz wrote:
    There were times that I didn't think this would happen again in my lifetime, but yesterday I actually got sunburnt out riding. So what are recommendations for sun protection cream for cycling?
    I recommend you put some on and carry the bottle with you if you're fair-skinned.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Wear sun cream. However, if like me nature has decided you no longer need a good thatch of hair on your head, don't rub sun cream on it. Once you start sweating it will run down and get in your eyes making them sting and run like fek. Not helpful when you're struggling up a hill. Wear a head cover instead.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    I was really after recommendations on brands of sunscreen rather than whether I should use it or not. So one that is long lasting and copes with sweating.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Coppertone sport continuous spray, it's sweat proof, water proof, non greasy and it doesn't stain your clothes.
    I've used it for five years and you can't beat the stuff, you can spray it on your noggin too because it doesn't run, the only issue is that you have to order it from the states but you can do it through Amazon.
  • DrDavros
    DrDavros Posts: 62
    The short answer is Rieman P20. Brilliant stuff
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I found that Rieman P20 stains your clothing, good protection though.
  • Spikeoz
    Spikeoz Posts: 10
    Well i'm from down under and i must say that when i take my shirt off i generaly get told that i'm wearing a nice white shirt such is the depth of my jersey tan.

Get the highest SPF you can get 30+, go with anything that is sport or activity related, the 'beauty' style ones are usless, i use banana boat stuff, but be warned that after 1 -1.5 hours their non existent and need to be reapplied, sweat kills them all, and application tends to interact with your sweat causing more sweat.....

The best is the old style zinc paste ones, but who wants to cover themselves in that stuff!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Bozman wrote:
    I found that Rieman P20 stains your clothing, good protection though.

+1 for P20 !

If you apply it as instructed on the bottle, and give it plenty of time to absorb and dry out, it doesn't stain clothes. I've been using it for years, both on and off the bilke and I've never had an issue with it staining.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I have scottish skin and get burnt looking out of the window for too long.

I use kids sunscreen because it is high factor and very waterproof. Put it on just before I leave. I also carry a SPF lipsalve which I use for my nose and under eyes later on in the ride - takes up minimal room.
  • I use Banana Boat - Sport. 4 hours. Sweat resistant.

Although I don't know where to but it in the UK - I just get my mum to bring some over from Australia whenever she visits. :D
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    +another for P20, lasts all day and works well (can't say I've noticed it staining my clothes either). I've noticed Aldi sometimes have a similar looking bottle of water-resistant suntan lotion on offer but not bought any yet to check if it's actually P20 in another guise.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    nferrar wrote:
    +another for P20, lasts all day and works well (can't say I've noticed it staining my clothes either). I've noticed Aldi sometimes have a similar looking bottle of water-resistant suntan lotion on offer but not bought any yet to check if it's actually P20 in another guise.

+3. Apply first, then go eat, then get dressed. No stains, lasts all day, doesn't run.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    +1 for P 20 - my dad is extremely nervous about the sun having had a few lumps hacked out if him a few years ago and uses that and tops it up with Ambre Solaire kids stuff which is 50+ SPF (Best ever was him water skiing in S France in a set of Rohan trousers a full, collared Rohan Shirt and a floppy sun hat...)

I ve used the Life Systems stuff myself and I like that a lot. Does seem to stay where it's supposed to
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I use the "3 step" clinique skin care range, including their "M lotion" moisturiser. They also do an SPF 21 version of the M lotion which is easy to put on first thing as part of my routine and adds some protection from the start...just in case I forget to add sun cream proper.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Gkarno
    Gkarno Posts: 15
    +1 Riemann P20
  • LaureneCastro
    LaureneCastro Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I always use sunscreen with SPF greater than 30 to 35.
    facial peels
  • beefcake2
    beefcake2 Posts: 157
    +1for P20. Theft have a SPF 50 of it on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Riemann-P20-SPF ... iemann+p20
  • I find Banana Sport the best, I recently tried the Riemann and wasn't particularly impressed. I'm fair skinned and burn to a crisp and the Banana Boat and has served me extremely well for a couple of sportives i've done this year on super hot days and its lasted well over 6 hours after applying.

http://www.bananaboat.co.uk/quick_dry_sport_spray.html
  • kingderham
    kingderham Posts: 206
    To stop sun cream running into your eye's put vaseline on your eye brow's.
    Buy a pocket size tub of Nivea sun kids 50high sun cream, when you have used it up you can peel the plastic nozzle bit of(think that what it is, not really a nozzle) that the cream come's out of and refill with sun cream, put nozzle back on. You do not have to take a big bottle with you, saving space and weight in your jersey or bike bag.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Usually use P20 - it smells revolting and is expensive but does last. I've also used a similar product from Lidl which sells for 4 quid a bottle and seemed to be just as effective. I've also used Ultrasun SP50, which is a cream but this didn't seem to be quite so resistant to sweat and rubbing as the P20.