Gps

milt
milt Posts: 115
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Am doing c2c next week and thinking of buying a gps is the edge 810 worth my big investment thnx

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    What do you want from it?

The 810 will provide directions etc. if you have the route loaded, but if you just want to track your ride the 500 series will do the job.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • milt
    Okay probably want one to do both but it is a big chunk and defo don't want to get it wrong thnx
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Is a good chunk of £££'s but you could always sell it on afterwards.

You could always consider renting it though as much less outlay for you - http://www.cyclohire.co.uk/gpsbikecomputerrental.html
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does your phone have the capability?
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    They are a lot of money, but very good for following pre loaded routes + route tracking etc.

If you have a smartphone, there is an App called viewranger where you can fairly cheaply download OS sheet tiles as needed which are stored on your phone and therefore you don't need a signal to track your route. You can upload gpx routes into it and follow them.

I don't think this solution is as neat or easy as a 800 - you have mounting and phone battery issues to deal with, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

If you can afford the 800 (or 810 if you really want the extra wireless features) then you are probably getting the leading product for route tracking and I'm sure you'd be pleased with it.
  • equinefunk
    equinefunk Posts: 323
    You don't need a GPS for navigation on the C2C it's well signposted & just follow everyone else. If it's just for recording using your phone or get a Garmin Watch or other device for a £100.

I have the Garmin Edge 800 & it's great for Navigation on the moors etc., also brilliant for recording your rides so I'd imagine the 810 is better but it's complete overkill for the C2C.
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • milt
    Thnx for all the replies its a bit clearer now
  • WhipIt
    WhipIt Posts: 52
    I use my old Edge 205 for navigation - no OS map but you can follow a squiggly line which shows you where to turn. If your source data is high resolution then you'll have no trouble - I've used it off-road in the peaks, on unfamiliar roads, etc with no problems. I believe the £100 Edge 200 does this too, the 500 does with extra features. The 800 seems overkill to me.
  • milt
    Okay thnx for all input have purchased 810 performance bundle for £330
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    For phone battery issues use something like this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerBee-Compac ... B007VN3GQY